23-year-old, never pregnant with breasts that sit high and very far apart on my chest. Do I have tuberous breasts? (photo)

I have noticed a few women on here asking about their breasts, and I have recently become very insecure about mine and I was wondering if you could tell me if I have tuberous breasts. I'm 23 and I've never been pregnant. My breasts sit high on my chest and are very far apart and not very full in the center.

Tuberous breasts vary a lot.

+3

I can see why it might be hard for you to answer this question yourself.  True tuberous breasts can almost not look like breasts at all, and these extreme examples are often what's seen when searching the internet.  In a severe case there's almost no breast tissue other than what is herniating into the nipples. 

The base of a tuberous breast is constricted (a smaller diameter of circle than it should be).  Your breasts have an element of that which can be addressed with a breast lift, with or without an implant.  Consult with your Plastic Surgeon regarding the location of scars and future breast feeding.

Cheers.

Tuberous breast deformity

+3

Dear LolaDores,

Sometimes it can be unhelpful to label people with a certain deformity as it may make them feel abnormal.  Tuberous breast deformity covers a wide range of breast shapes and you have some features, but I would hesitate to label you as having a deformity.

It doesn't matter whether someone says you have a tuberous breast or not, the main question is 'are you happy with you breasts?'.  If the answer is 'yes', then don't worry what anyone says - you look great.  If you are unhappy with them, then it may be possible to change them depending on what you would like to be different - regardless of whether or not you have this label of 'tuberous breast deformity'.

Jonathan Staiano

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Question about tuberous breasts

+2

Your breasts are not truly tuberous in the rigorous sense though you do have some characteristics that are also seen with tuberous breasts including the enlarged areolas and the widened space between the breasts. The real issue is: Do you like your breasts or not? If not: Do you want to improve their appearance?

If you do want to improve the appearance of your breasts, you can as your situation is treatable. You should consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons in your area. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tuberous breast have many variations

+2

this is a problem we see often and sometimes with puberty:

1. the areola may be wide
  2. the breast may"herniate" through the areola (puffy nipple)
  3. the base of the breast may be narrow
  4. breasts far apart
  5. can be very asymetric.

Tuberous breasts

+2

Yes, you do have tuberous breasts and they can be much improved by an experienced plastic surgeon.  Depending on your child bearing timing you might want to wait until done if that is any time soon or if not, you might go ahead now with an augmentation, tissue release and periareolar lift.  Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts

+2

Your breasts do have a tuberous appearance in that the base is narrow and constricted and the inframammary fold to areola distance is relatively short.  However, you do not have a very high crease and the breast tissue is not really herniating or protruding into the areolas. The shape of your rib cage is contributing to the position of your breasts on your chest and the width between the breasts. The appearance of your breasts can be enhanced by breast augmentation with a periareolar or vertical lift.  You still may not be able to get tight cleavage because of the forward position of the sternum, but it can most likely be improved.  Schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to explore your options and get advice that can only be given accurately with an examination and personal consultation.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast or not

+2

The simple fact is that you do not have a tuberous breast of any sort. Your breast is normal and though spacing is wide you do not have the constricted skin envelope and nipple herniation of the tuberous (root like) breast. Sorry about the insecurity, however you don't need surgery, just weight loss, a healthy active lifestyle, and a significant other who appreciates you.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Do I have tuberous breasts?

+2

Yes, you do appear to have a developmental deformity known as tuberous breasts.  Your breasts are spaced widely apart, the areola is large and positioned low on the breast mound, the inferior pole of the breast is constricted rather than rounded.  If you were simply looking for the areola size to be reduced and raised to a somewhat higher position on your breast, and you wanted to avoid implants and did not want to increase your breast size, a breast lift to accomplish these goals could be performed.  If you wanted larger breasts with more fullness towards the middle, then breast augmentation would be performed, in which case special techniques would be needed to probably lower your inframammary folds, release the constriction in your lower poles, etc. so that the implant would rest in its proper position and properly expand into and round out the lower pole of the breast.  A breast lift would still be required to raise the nipple and reduce the areolar size.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Some characteristics but definitely fixable

+2

While your breasts do show some of the characteristics we associate with tuberous breast deformity, you certainly have a fixable problem. Like any problem we see in plastic surgery, there are more severe cases and less sever cases. I suspect that doing a mastopexy may be all you need. Redistributing your breast tissue so more is on the upper portion of your chest and reducing the size of your areola will go a long way toward improving the appearance of your breasts. Some of the things we do in more severe cases (scoring the breast tissue, adding implants) may not be necessary.  Good luck and don't be discouraged.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+2

Hi LaioDores,

The photos are very helpful.  You have a variant of tuberous breasts.  This deformity is a developmental abnormality which has a broad spectrum from mild to severe.  Typically the major characteristics include: small breasts, wide spacing between the breasts, high breast folds, narrow base breast width, enlarged, puffy areola.  The overall appearance can be improved with surgery. I would consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon