Tuberous Breasts or Just Very Saggy? (photo)

Hi, I'm 21 and have had very saggy weird looking breasts since I started getting breasts. I have since had two children which has not affected how they looked as they always were saggy and weird looking. I am not sure if they are just saggy breasts with huge nipple areas or tuberous breasts? What's your opinion? Thanks

What is my problem

Hi Missisabella. We all agree that you have sagging breasts. Dr. Gottlieb has explained the definition of the tuberous breast very nicely. Are you done with having children? I recommend this prior to any procedure. You have nice shape to your breast gland but it is too low in relationship to the infra-mammary fold and because of this, on your body. Even young women are unfortunate in that this can be a congenital and familial situation not just because you had large breasts that fell when they emptied out. I agree with a full lift; there well be scars around the areola and the breast which is the trade off. Do you like your breast size in a bra? If so, you may not need to consider an implant, although this can improve the upper shape of the breast. You appear to have pretty good fullness in the upper pole of you breasts from the photos, but the consideration of implants and the trade-offs should be discussed and confirmed by physical exam during a consultation. Hope this helps. 

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

10687 NE 2nd Street
Bellevue, WA 98004

Short scar breast lift

You will benefit from short scar breast lift (lollipop breast lift). You may consider a small implant as well, however not crucial. A well-done breast lift willtake care of the large areola problem too.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

1702 Ohio Avenue
Lynn Haven, FL 32444

Not Tuberous Breasts

It doesn't appear that you have tuberous breasts. They are just affected by ptosis (sagging). To correct this, a breast lift would make them perkier and firmer in appearance.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Tuberous breasts or just very saggy?

Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it does not appear that you have a tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  Without an examination, it will be difficult to tell you for certain, however, it appears that you have breast ptosis (sagging).  I believe that you would have a great result with a breast lift.  If you desired increased size and fullness, then consideration for an implant would be deserved.  

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Ptosis, not tuberous

You appear to have ptosis (sagging of the breasts).  If you desire to change the aesthetics of your breast, a breast lift would raise the nipple areolar complex and a small implant will help provide fullness.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

1725 Village Center Circle
Las Vegas, NV 89134

Sagging breasts and breast lift surgery

Your breasts are sagging not tuberous and you have a lot of extra skin with stretchmarks. This usually happens after large weight gain and loss or after breast engorgement associated with pregnancy. If those do not apply in your case it could possibly be due to rapid early growth of the breasts during puberty. You see a similar skin condition in teen body builders whose muscles grow faster than the overlying skin can accommodate.

The nipples will need to be raised so much that you will likely need an inverted T or Wise pattern lift with or without an implant. Don't let anyone talk you into a lesser lift with a larger implant because that will only magnify your problem over time.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

120 South Spalding
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Are breasts just sagging or are they tuberous?

This is a good question. It sounds as if you've already done some reading on this, and are questioning this because you had "weird" looking breasts even before your two children. While sagging often occurs after childbirth, especially if you have breast fed, many young women can naturally have sagging breasts even before having children, and even at very young ages. And, breasts come in all shapes and sizes, so you don't have to consider your breasts "weird".

I agree with the other surgeons here that your breasts do not look as if they are tuberous. Depending on whether you're looking for larger breasts or just wanting them to look less saggy, you have good choices. Consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you take a look at these choices, which may include breast lift or breast lift with augmentation.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Dr
San Antonio, TX 78258

Saggy vs. Tuberous Breasts

Your breasts are ptotic (saggy). There are several options for you. You can do a just a lift (mastopexy), lift with breast implants or lift with fat grafting. It all depends if you want to be larger and if so how much larger. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

4355 Bear Gully Rd
Winter Park, FL 32792

Breast ptosis vs tuberous breasts

This looks like breast ptosis, or "saggy breasts", based on your photos.  A breast lift, with or without implants, would give your breasts a much more aesthetic appearance.  I suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for an examination and a discussion of your options.  Best, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

1021 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028

Saggy breasts

It's hard to tell from the angles from which you took the photos what kind of lift you need.  It's possible that you may just need a peri-areolar mastopexy ("donut lift") with implants.  It all depends on what you foresee as the final result vs. how much scarring you're willing to accept.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

1635 Matthews Township Parkway
Matthews, NC 28105-4657