Can Tuberous Breasts Look Normal After Explant? (photo)

I got my implants almost 13 years ago. (350cc under muscle) My breasts were tuberous and small, 34A. I have come to realize that the shape bothered me more than the size. I am now a 34DD or 36D - way too big. I would like to remove the implants as I have never loved the size, shape or placement. What I am wondering is if I can just remove the implants or if I will at least need a small implant in order to have decent, round shaped breasts?

Tuberous breast and smaller implants

+1

I think that you  need to go with a smaller implant, possibly scor the lower pole, and reduce the areola size to get a good shape. Good luck.

Tuberous breasts and implants

+1

I would recommend downsizing the implants and performing a lift.  Part of the tuberous breast shape usually includes some form areolar problem - often the underlying tissue herniates, or pushes, out towards the thinner areola skin. A breast lift will help address this by making the areola smaller and the breast less angular in shape.   The bottom part of the breast is also a bit flat and the implants are not centered under your nipples - this can be improved with different implant size, shape, and/or placement, as well as altering the actual tissue if necessary. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Smaller Implants

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. I would recommend smaller implants rather than removal without replacement. Tuberous breasts need some volume to restore a more normal shape.  Smaller implants would likely get you closer to where you want to be than just removal. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts after Implants

+1

If you had an A cup before, you would most likely need a smaller implant to be happy.  You would probably want a circumareolar lift as well to compensate for the increase in droop.  If you get a much smaller implant, a more extensive lift may need to be done.

Can tuberous breasts look normal

+1
  • You may be happiest with smaller implants
  • I would recommend removal of the existing implants 
  • You could go without implants for 6 to 12 months and allow for maximal retraction of your breast skin
  • You can then re-evaluate and decide if you would like to start over with smaller implants

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Can Tuberous Breasts Look Normal After Explant

+1

A proper response to this question can only come after an in person exam. From photos alone it is not possible to estimate the elasticity of the breast skin.  I would guess that the implants make up most of the volume of the breasts, and that replacing these with smaller implants would give a more pleasing result. A breast lift will probably be recommended with either removal or downsizing of the implants. 

Thank you for your question and for the photos. Best wishes. 

+1

Clinical exam will be necessary to assess the volume of the breast tissue

There are several options available to improve the shape once the implants are removed

1 Circumareolar breast lift

2 Fat injections

3Brava expansion of the breast tissue

4 Placement of a small implant under the fascia.An adjustable saline implant is often of value in revision cases

5 Addition of acellular dermis or mesh

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon