I Have Tuberous Breast and Only Got a Breast Augmentation, I'm So Unhappy and Depressed. What else Should I Have Had Done?

I don't feel my surgeon was experienced in my type of breasts. I'm only a month and 2 wks out, but I'm unhappy about everything. I don't feel I was fully informed about having any under breast even AFTER a BA. He told me a BA would be enough and I spent my life savings on it practically, I don't know what else to do. What else should I have gotten done? I know I'm early out, but I can already tell based on ppl's pics I'm getting double bubble, and I went under muscle L (421cc) R(457cc)

Unhappy breast result

+2

Most patients with tuberous breasts need a combination of a lift and an augmentation.  Please post some pre and postop photos of you so we can help more.  In the end though, please go back to your surgeon and discuss calmly your concerns. 

Double Bubble After Breast Augmentation

+1

I am sorry you are going through this, but there is an answer to your problems.  If, in fact, you had tuberous breasts pre-operatively, then this is not an unusual situation.  The problem with tuberous breasts is that they have a very narrow base to their breasts which makes them look like a tuber (potato).  If the implant is placed below the inframammary fold, then you will always get a double bubble.  If the implant was based at the inframammary fold, then your nipple would come out too low on the breast mound.  Tuberous breasts, at times, turn downward, and unless a lift is done at the same time, they get what is known as the "Snoopy Nose Deformity". 

Depending on the position of the implant, you may need what is known as a capsulopexy where the pocket for the implant is lifted.  When a tuberous breast is on top of the muscle and the implant below, there is no ability for this tight constricted base to splay out over the implant, giving a more natural appearance.  If you plastic surgeon told you that a tuberous breast can be corrected with just an implant, then I highly recommend you seek a second opinion from a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your town, experienced in the circumareolar or Benelli mastopexy as well as the dual plane mastopexy. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breasts

+1

I agree with the previous posts.  Most patients with true tubular breasts need an augmentation with a periareolar mastopexy.  There are also techniques that can be done intraoperatively to open up the breast tissue in order to decrease the double bubble effect your are describing.   I would recommend talking with your PS and discussing your concerns.  I hope this helps you and good luck!

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Expectations after breast implants

+1

It's important to voice your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  Wait several months for all of the swelling to go down before making any final decisions about whether or not you like your breasts.  If you need a revision, you may want to go to another plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

I can't stand my breasts!

+1

Relax.  There are two problems, and you can solve them both, your breasts, and your reaction to them.  

The breasts may need further surgery down the line, but they're yours to show or hide as needed.  Be proud of your body, you have the only one ever made like it.  Always be yourself... those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  You learned a very important lesson:  Do your research, know who is who, and price should be the least important criteria upon which you select a surgeon.

Steve Laverson, MD

Unhappy about augment for tuberous breasts

+1
Tuberous breast deformity is a complex problem and requires strategic and sometimes multiple procedures. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the result but would encourage you to keep an open mind and let things settle down. Without photos, it is impossible to comment on the result. The breasts do need time to heal.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hello

+1

Without examining you it's hard to determine what else you could have done. Usually in our practice we like to tell your patients that a lift and breast augmentation would help get you the results you are looking for. Getting under boob does take some time for your skin to stretch out and for your skin to adapt to the new implant. Wearing a breast band would help make your implants drop.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Unhappy after Breast Augmentation

+1

Without the benefit of a physical exam, or even pictures, it is really hard to tell exactly what your unhappy about. But, as my colleagues have noted, it is still early in the postoperative period, and final judgement about the shape of the breasts cannot be made. Breast implants take a while, up to several months, to "settle" down into their final position in the chest. My advice is definitely keep in touch with your surgeon, and follow their recommendations. They might be able to change up your exercise routine to effect a greater lowering of the implants with massage and manual pressure - DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT DIRECT SUPERVISION BY YOUR SURGEON. Just make sure that all healing is done before considering a revision surgery. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Tuberous breast surgery

+1

As, many others have indicated - it is very difficult to give you an opinion without photos or an examination.  That being said, you are very early after surgery and ther is no doubt that changes will occur during the healing process.  Tuberous breasts are very hard to correct and there are many variables involved in the surgery and the healing process.  Your situation is likely very different from others on the internet and you risk getting a lot of bad advice.  Your doctor has your best interests in mind and it is a good idea to stay in close follow up with him / her during this healing process. Best of luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast surgery

+1

Thanks for your question. It's impossible to evaluate your situation without examining you, or at least seeing photos. However, since your surgery was only 6 weeks ago, your breasts will continue to heal and the implants will continue to "settle" for at least the next 6 months.

As the swelling resolves and the implants settle, your breast shape will continue to change, and you may be quite pleased several months from now when you have your final result.

So I advise you to keep all of your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon, and try to be patient. Do not consider a revision or any other kind of breast surgery for at least 6 months.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon