May I Take a Tub Bath Being 7 Days Post Op from a Breast Lift/implant?

I am 7 days post op from having a breast lift with saline implant. I've just been showering but would love a good warm tub bath. Is that advisable? I don't want to risk getting an infection or anything. Just a question I forgot to ask my plastic surgeon.

Tub Bath Being 7 Days Post Op from a Breast Lift/implant

+1

I would not recommend it. Until the incisions are completely healed the skin barrier is not adequate to keep bacteria away from the implants. Have your warm tub bath after talking with your surgeon. Best wishes. 

Bath after Breast Implants

+1

I would not recommend submerging your implants in a bathtub or pool 7 days after surgery. It is not worth taking the chance of water seeping through a not quite healed incision. Shower is okay because the water merely runs over the incision. I usually recommend at least 2 weeks before submerging. 

Web reference: http://www.chicagobreast.com

Tub bath and surgery

+1

At one week you are not completely healed.  I usually allow my patient to shower soon after surgery, but tub bathing is usually not permitted becaue the wounds are not completely healed.  To be safe you should touch base with your surgeon.

Tub/bath 1 week after breast augmentation is NOT recommended.

+1

Until your incisions and all of the communications from your breast ducts (ending with the surface ar your nipples) have healed durably and completely, immersing these areas in any sort of bacteria-filled water is asking for infection (meaning removal of implants) or possibly "just" bacterial biofilm formation leading to capsular contracture.

Since your rectal and genital areas are immersed in the same water that touches and communicates with any microscopic openings in your skin, incision, or ducts, this is tempting disaster.

I tell my patients to wait at least 3 weeks or until everything is completely healed and no crusts, scabs, or any open spots at all. This includes tubs, hot tubs, spas, swimming pools, lakes, rivers, or ocean swimming.

Why risk it? Take a shower! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/breast-augmentation

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bathing after Breast Lift and Implants

+1

It is probably best to wait a month before you can do this. This is also true for hot tubs and pools. Soaking in the water can lead to infection or opening of the incision. Think how your skin gets soft and wrinkly after a long bath? This would not be good after surgery.

Showering is ok in my opinion after 72 hours. The skin and incision usually seal by 24-48 hours and hence 72 hours is safe. This is 3 full days after surgery.

Good luck. I hope this helped.

Dr. Saunders

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

It will depend on your plastic surgeon but one week is too early

+1

Thank you for the question.  At one week you may still have a few areas that are freshly healed and a long soak may soften and weaken this tissue which can lead to some prolonged healing at the incision site.  Each plastic surgeon has a different take on this but for a breast lift I would feel more comfortable with delaying soaking to two weeks or more .

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: Http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Bathing after Breast Augmentation

+1

I advise my patients not to soak in a swimming pool, bath tub or hot tub for at least 1 month following surgery. Best to call your plastic surgeon's office to see what they recommend.

Thanks for your question!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Tub bathing one week after surgery

+1

I dont like the idea of tub baths so early after surgery. Remember no matter how clean you think your tub is it is not that clean. Showers are OK. Bathing in 3-4 weeks.