Am I a Healthy Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

Regarding to my earlier question, am I fit for the surgery? I wil pay $9000 for that and doing it in the biggest hospital with perfect care. Does that make the decision easier?

As I said I am 48 kg, 5 feets, 2 C-section, no medical history, I have a super ugly belly, advice me pls

Yes, you sound fit.

+2

I know you are concerned about your decision to have a cosmetic procedure and if you are putting yourself at risk. Your primary concern is your chidren, which is commendable and understandable. This is the big moral decision that must be made by every loving mother who is contemplating any elective procedure. On the one hand you hate the appearance of your abdomen. On the other hand, you are scared. As others have said, all procedures carry some risk. The risks are very low, however. You are young, no longer smoking and with a negative past medical history. If you have chosen a good surgeon whom you trust, you should be in good hands and should be very safe. Having the procedure done in a licensed and accredited hospital setting is also a very good decision. I have been performing this procedure for 30 years and have never had a patient die. Remember that this is basically a skin operation, and none of your deeper or vital structures will be involved or even exposed. Try to relax, let the surgeon do his work, follow his instructions and you should do fine.

Best wishes!

Medically fit for tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for your question.  To give you peace of mind check with your primary care physician for a medical workup prior to your surgery. Make sure you are what working with a well experienced board-certified  plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist.

I will repeat some advice I gave you in a previous question...

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Healthy for Tummy Tuck

+1

I would agree that from your description you may be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery. However without a thorough evaluation by a qualified plastic surgeon, no one can say for sure. If you smoke you must stop completely prior to surgery as this increases the risk of would healing problems. A consultation can help you determine if you are a good candidate both physically and emotionally.

Richard Linderman, MD

+1

with all due respect there is no way of telling based on your description. by the way, you saying you have no medical history is not the same as having a doctor who has examined you and taken a careful history telling you that you are healthy.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Healthy enough for a tummy tuck?

+1

You should have a thorough exam by your general doctor to clear you for the surgery and then visit the very best plastic surgeon who works in the best facility with anesthesiology doctors.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Candidacy For Tummy Tuck

+1

It sounds as if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck, especially since you have stopped smoking.  There are always some risks involved with tummy tucks and any operations.  But, if you are otherwise healthy, you risks should be quite low.  You must not resume smoking, however, since a single cigarette could cause tissue necrosis.

John Whitt, MD

You seem to be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery

+1

From the information that you gave about yourself, you appear to be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  I suggest that you have a thorough physical examination from your family doctor first, and then consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for his opinion.  If you feel comfortable with this surgeon, then go ahead and have the surgery.  It sounds like you would benefit from it.

James Tang, MD

Pre operative clearance for a tummy tuck

+1

Only your plastic surgeon and/or your primary care physican can determine if you are healthy enough for a tummy tuck. This is difficult to determine solely based on your height and weight. If you smoke, you should stop for at least 2-4 weeks before surgery. The procedure generally takes about 2.5 hours and is performed under general anesthesia. Routine lab work will need to be done before surgery also.

A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and determine if you are a good candidate.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Medically fit for surgery

+1

On "paper" it would seem that you are medically fit for surgery though the only person that can definitively make that determination is your PS. You should sit and discuss your desires with your PS and also any past medical conditions and operations.  Only then will the determination be made if you are fit for surgery.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon