I Had a TT 2 Years Ago, and Notice There's Some Slight Scabbing in my Belly Button. Should I Worry?

Today I noticed there seemed to be some lint in my belly button and I thought it was dirt. It didn't seem to clean up easily so I took a cotton swab and tried to clean it. I realized then the whole was really deep and feared I was picking off a scab. There were complications after my tummy tuck, I had a ventral hernia repaired and I've always had a slight stomach ache. My surgeon told me to give it a year and avoid pushups or exercises that strain the stomach.

New wound in the belly button post tummy tuck and hernia.

+1

I recommend a follow up visit to your surgeon. It certainly could be a suture from the original operation. If your ventral hernia was repaired with mesh, there is concern that what you are seeing is the actual mesh. A thorough evaluation is certainly warranted.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Skin scabbing at umbilicus 2 year post tummy tuck

+1

The scenario that you describes seems to point to a permanent suture from the procedure that is now eroding through the skin. You should contact your plastic surgeon if possible and have him/her assess the situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Scab in belly button after a tummy tuck

+1

Most likely either a stitch that was used to close the incision around the belly button, or more likely a suture that was placed to fix the hernia has a small infection. Oral antibiotics might help it but sometimes the suture has to be removed to get it to clear up. The muscles should be healed enough at this time that the repair on the muscles should hold.

Julio Garcia, MD

Scab on belly button years after tummy tuck

+1

When healing takes this long, we often suspect an underlying cause such as a suture that has worked through into the belly button. Your surgeon should have a look.

Peter Johnson, MD

Problems with belly button after surgery

+1

You may have an exposed suture from the original surgery that is giving you the problem.  See your Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Possible suture coming through the belly button

+1

As has been said, the most likely problem here is that a permanent suture is poking out at the umbilicus.  This can be diagnosed and treated by your surgeon.  The part of the stitch needs to be removed.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Belly Button “Scab”?

+1

It would be in your best interest to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who upon direct examination can make a good diagnosis and treatment plan. From what you describe, it does sound suspicious for a permanent suture making its way through the skin or incision line around the umbilicus.

Belly Button Scabbing 2 years after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Your question is impossible to answer without reviewing your medical records and examining you. A "scab" is a temporary wound cap which is later shed off by the body as the wound is sealed by scar tissue, It never lasts 2 years. For this reason I suggest you see your surgeon and have him examine you to make sure you do not have an extruding stitch.