I Had a TT a Year Ago is It Too Late to Try Silicon Gel? (photo)

The only thing I've been using is mederma and coco butter on my scar because my doctor told me scar treatment wasn't necessary and that we would talk about scar treatment at my 1 year visit if I wasn't happy. It will be one year next month and the scar has recently gotten more sensitive/sore and it's still dark in color. I feel like my scar has even gotten thinker in the last 6 months.

Scar revision can improve things

+2

Thanks for your question and photo. At a year out, the scar will likely not change a lot even with topicals. I agree with the others who have recommended Kenalog/steroid injections around the umbilicus in particular. This can help with making raised and thickened scars flatter. The abdominiplasty scar would likely need to be excised and reclosed to improve its appearance. Sometimes if there is a lot of tension on this area in the initial closure it can result in widening. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Best of Luck!

Silicone sheeting one year after TT

+2
Silicone gl or sheeting is unlikely to improve a year old scar. You could try Kenalog injections and, if this does not provide the necessary improvement, then a trial of serial scar revision would be my next recommendation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Terrible scar after tummy tuck

+2

A year might be a bit late to expect much out of silicone gel sheeting, and steroid might be a better option especially around the umbilicus. Scar revision can be very helpful now that the closure is under less tension with immediate application of silicone sheets. Ask your doctor when you might be ready.

I Had a TT a Year Ago is It Too Late to Try Silicon Gel?

+1

It is probably less likely to be effective this far out, but give it a try. I would sooner begin a series of kenalog injections. Ask your surgeon.

All the best