TT Swelling or Weight Gain?

I'm about 6 wks post. I can't tell if I'm still swollen or if I'm gaining weight due to not exercising as much prior to surgery. I am still wearing my compression garment daily and binder at night. Still no feeling in my tummy area, but that's ok. That's the least of my worries. However, I do not want to gain weight during this recovery period just because I can not get back on my exercise program just yet. I do walk about 5 miles a week. Am I right in feeling this way? Please advise.

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+3

It is perfectly normal to have swelling for months after abdominoplasty surgery. The majority resolves by several months. Occasionally in patients with moderate to severe swelling, I have seen it take 6 months-1year to resolve. Numbness can last a full year. Be patient. Follow a healthy diet and you should be able to start exercising pretty soon if OK with your physician. Continue your garment. 

Weight gain after TT not abnormal

+2

There are several reasons for weight gain after a tummy tuck including lack of exercise, but usually it is due to fluid retention post op.  If you had combinind liposuction this would be even more the case.  At six weeks I do let my patients resume full normal activity without restrictions unless there are extenuating circunstances.  If in doubt speak to your doctor.  The fullness you feel will probably resolve over the next month or two leaving you a very happy patient.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Weight Gain Normal After Abdominoplasty

+2

It is not unusual for many patients to say the same thing, even six weeks later.  You probably still have some swelling going on ( it can take 3-4 months for it all to dissapear), and with the limited activity, may have put on a few pounds.  I would not worry, though.  Once you are back to full activity, you will be back to your normal weight fairly quickly.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Keeping Fit After Tummy Tuck

+1

I believe your concern is warranted.  The best way at the to control your weight during your recovery would be to control your caloric intake. Taking in less calories while you are expending less energy.  Following your surgeon's advice of when it is appropriate for you to resume your usual exercise program.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Increased weight after tummy tuck

+1

I generally allow my patients to ambulate at this point in time and allow them to progress with increasing resistance. Discuss this with your surgeon. A fair amount of your weight gain may be retained fluid.