Will I Need a TT if I Still Have a Bulge on Upper Left and Lower Right Abdomen 10 wks Post Hernia Repair/Ab Tightening? (photo)

I had follow up yesterday specifically to ask about this distortion. General Surgeon said no sign of hernias anymore and no seroma or hematoma. He said do Ab exercises and give it another month then if it doesnt go away that may be the way my body healed. He did not use mesh, and he "mobilized fascia" I hald mild diastasis that he said he tightened up. Is it harder for the surgeon to do a tummy tuck after all this and more costly? Could the bulge be from the way I was sutured? Thank you!

Well-Done Tummy Tuck Should Correct Your Problem

+2

Hi there-

It is, of course, unreasonable to expect that your abdomen would look as good after a general surgeon does a hernia repair (even with "muscle tightening") as it would after a well-done Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) performed by an expert surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Once your healing course is complete, you should visit such a surgeon for a consultation and examination.

Deformities after hernia repair and abdominal tightening by general surgeon

+2

Thanks for the helpful photos. It is not entirely clear what the general surgeon did including with regard to your stated "abdominal tightening". That part is not a normal component of a hernia repair. Without an examination including seeing your incision(s ) and an operative report, anything stated would be pure conjecture.

Clearly, you need to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon - a doctor trained to do tummy tucks, unlike general surgeons.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your complicated past surgical history, I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons;  this advice will be much more precise/valuable than what can be achieved with online consultation. Only after this consultation can definitive recommendations,  such as proceeding with tummy tuck surgery, be given.

Bulge on Upper Abdomen 10 wks Post Hernia Repair/Ab Tightening

+2

General surgeons are NOT Plastic surgeons. I suspect you had a Mayo "Vest over Pants" umbilical hernia repair which he referred to as a muscle tightening. Such a localized repair in the middle of the abdomen is NOT a subsitute for a formal Abdominoplasty and could be responsible for the mild distortion of the tummy fat you are unhappy with. If you have completed your family and can afford it, a formal abdominoplasty would definitely flatten your tummy and narrow your waist while tightening the WHOLE abdominal wall and removing all skin excess.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Bulge after hernia repair

+2

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but that's not a normal appearance after hernia repair or tummy tuck. If that's not fluid, like a seroma, than you have a tremendously weak upper abdomen. If your lower and mid abdomen were tightened, and your upper tummy wasn't, or if the sutures broke, it could give you that appearance. If you lie flat on your back and it goes completely away and sinks in, it's abdominal weakness. If it stays bulged up and firm, it's probably fluid, which could be verified by ultrasound, and treated with aspiration. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

You need imaging of your abdomen

+1

Definitively you need a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon (american Board of Plastic Surgery) for that you will need your operative report and an imaging study (CAT scan) will be the best study to determine if there is any hernia, fluid or just weakness of your upper abdomen, physical exmination is important however in your case, with the history of a previous surgery ( with muscle thightening???) it will be much better to have an concrete image of the abdominal wall.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Abdomen bulge and hernia repair

+1

It is probably a good idea to wait about 3-6 months to heal from your hernia repair. If the contour of your tummy is not the way you would like, I recommend you see a Board-certified plastic surgeon to be evaluation for a tummy tuck. Yes, it is possible to have a tummy tuck after hernia repair.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS