TT Recovery Time and Advice Please?

Hi, I am having a full TT with muscle repair? I have two children aged 2 and 3? How long will i need help looking after them? For example? Cooking? Bathing them, cleaning? How will I feel two weeks after my surgery?

Recovery time after any surgery is different for each patient and varies from one patient to another.

+1

Recovery time after any surgery is different for each patient and varies from one patient to another. The recovery is influenced by biological conditions and the circumstances of each particular case, but as an average time under normal conditions the patient can be integrated into their daily activities over a period of 3-4 weeks, except that the patient should not do stressful physical  activities during  6-8 weeks and   not to load heavy objects or do abdominal exercises for 4-6 months.

Limitations following a tummy tuck

+1

The answers to your questions are so variable and are influenced by each individual's circumstances, pain threshold, motiviation, attitude, etc. As a result, there can be a very side range of time frames. You will definitely need full time help with your children for at least the first several days to a week. For certain activities like bathing them, you may need assistance much longer.

With regard to cooking, you can do this when you feel up to it which may be by one week. Making a simple breakfast is one thing. If you are planning a feast - that will be a lot longer.

I do recommend that you discuss with your surgeon prior to surgery your expected limitations and his/her recommendations. These can be modified postoperatively in direct response to your healing progress.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

TT Recovery Time and Advice Please?

+1

On average 14 to 21 days are the range to expect to obtain a recovery to function in the care of your children. Best to discuss in further detail with your chosen surgeon. 

Recovery after tummy tuck

+1

With little ones at home, you will probably need help for a couple of weeks since you cannot lift anything heavy and need to cut back on household chores.  Usually by about 6 weeks you will be feeling closer to normal and will start resuming "normal" activities and exercise.   Follow the advice given to you by your plastic surgeon, don't push things, listen to your body, and be patient with the postoperative course.   I find that to be one of the more difficult things to communicate with patients -  surgery is not immediate gratification.  There is swelling to resolve, discomfort to tolerate, healing to occur, scars to mature.... but remember why you are proceeding with surgery and the big picture of how you will look and feel once you are completely healed!

Michelle Spring, MD

Recovery after abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

+1

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with tummy tuck surgery.

Your  plastic surgeon will give you a full description of what to expect during your recovery period. I do however have a few words of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.

It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

Recovery after tummy tuck

+1

Although recovery varies, I tell my patients they will need to restrict their activities for about 6 weeks.  One will need help especially during the first 2 weeks and especially with young children.  Bending and lifting is not allowed post op.  Make sure you prepare yourself ahead of time and try to get as much help as you can for the first 4 weeks.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon