What Should I Do to Prepare for my Tummy Tuck?

my tt with lipo flanks. i'm super excited but how should i get my body ready? i usually excerise and i watch what i eat. Ive lost 50LBS and had 2 pregnancy.

Preparing for Tummy Tuck Surgery

+3

Congratulations on the weight loss. A few specific things to do pre operative:

• If you need to lose some weight do so if possible
  • if you need to stop smoking do so two weeks pre operative
  • Stop taking any blood thinning medications a week pre operative (aspirin, Advil, Naprosyn, Aleve, fish oil)
  • Shower the night before and the morning of surgery with Hibicleanse or antibacterial soap

Good luck with your procedure!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for a tummy tuck

+2

Train like you are planning on running a 1/2 marathon - lots of exercise and great nutrition and prepare your home like you are expecting a new baby.  Get everything cleaned and organized and get some meals prepared and line up some help.  Also, consider renting or borrowing a walker.  I know this sounds pathetic but I recommend it to my tummy tuck patients on advice of one patient a few years ago that found it very, very helpful the first couple of weeks.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Preparation for your tummy tuck

+2

Other than saying goodbye to your tattoo, you should eat well and take multivitamins.   If you smoke, you must refrain for 4 weeks before and after surgery.    Also, it is a good idea to fill your medications and make arrangements for transportation and assistance during your first week after surgery.  

Paul S. Gill, MD

Preparing for a tummy tuck

+2

First of all, get your support system lined up as you will need help for about 5 days from a very positive person (not a negative one!!).  Then get your affairs in order, house cleaned, food stocked up, bills paid so there is no pressure during the recovery.  Finally, stay healthy and do a mild bowel clean out the day before surgery so your colon starts out empty.  Good luck you should get a nice result!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Preparation

+1
Here are some things that I generally advise my patients to do before their surgery:

4 weeks before surgery: Cigarettes, cigars, tobacco chew, and pipes should all be avoided from this period onward. Nicotine use interferes with circulation and puts patients at higher risk of experiencing complications during tummy tuck recovery or while receiving anaesthesia.

3 weeks: Any of the pre-operative tests that your surgeon has scheduled (usually EKG and/or laboratory testing) should be taken. During this period of time patients should reduce their salt intake. Since it leads to swelling and bloating, consuming too much salt can lead to unnecessary post-operative swelling. Water consumption should be increased at this time as well. Drinking more water flushes out toxins, helping prepare the body to heal and ward off illness during the recovery period.

2 weeks: All alcohol (even a single drink) must be avoided from this point onward as well. Alcohol decreases the strength of the immune system and increases the risk of post-operative infection. It can also increase the risk of bleeding.

Aspirin and ibuprofen products also cannot be taken starting two weeks prior to the tummy tuck. Because these medications are blood thinners they can lead to surgical complications like excess bleeding and recovery problems such as incision wounds healing too slowly due to blood that cannot clot. Tylenol has a different formulation and may be taken safely.

Vitamins should be taken to help encourage healing processes. Multi-vitamins containing iron, minerals and vitamin C/E are advised. It's important not to take "extra" vitamin E.

1 week: Patients should continue to refrain from nicotine, alcohol and ibuprofen products.

The day before: Fasting is required in order to guarantee a safe surgery and effective anaesthesia. Patients must not eat or drink (including water or gum) after midnight. If regular medication must be taken it can be swallowed with a small sip of water on the morning of the appointment.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Get diet and exercise in line first

+1

Get healthy first and get your weight into a range in which you can maintain it easily post-op.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for surgery

+1

There are many things that I routinely recommend for my patients to do is preparation for any cosmetic surgical procedure. One of the most important thing that you can do prior to your body contouring procedure is to reach your ideal goal weight and maintain it there. Apart from that, learn more about how to prepare for your upcoming operation by  following the link below...

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

How to prepare for tummy tuck--Useful information.

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Your excitement is evident, and wanting to do the right things will help you achieve your and your surgeon's best outcome! Make sure you don't diet excessively right before surgery--you need to have the proper nutritional building blocks for good healing. Exercise is OK right up to surgery, but again, use moderation so you aren't stiff and sore as you are trying to heal your abdominal musculature and lipo areas.

I've already answered this question in the "mommy makeover" section. You can read my recommendations in my answer: Do's and Don'ts the Day Before Surgery for Mommy Makeover? I hope this helps! Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Preparation For Tummy Tuck

+1

The most important thing in preparation for a tummy tuck or any elective aesthetic surgery is to be in the best health which is possible.  This means most importantly to be smoke-free.  Other important considerations are to have a normal blood pressure, to be at or near ideal body weight, and to be in good shape nutritionally.  In diabetics, it is important to have a good Hb A1c.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck preparation

+1

You are doing the right thing by losing weight prior to surgery. You also want to stay away from any medications that may cause bleeding.