Which is First? TT or Lipo?

I am what is called "barrel-chested" and much of the bulk is fat around my upper rib cage. Can lipo + TT help?

Tummy tuck and liposuction can be performed at the same time

+1

Tummy tuck and liposuction can be performed at the same time in most patients as long as your surgeon is familiar with the limitations and risks of combining those procedures.

Photographs would be helpful but not sufficient to determine what you need to have done.  An exam of the muscular support of your abdomen is also essential to determine what you need to have done.

In my Salt Lake City, UT practice I perform tummy tucks and liposuction routinely at the same time, but only if it is indicated or necessary.  You need to have an exam by an experienced surgeon to determine what will help you the most.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or liposuction first? Liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question. Without a picture I cannot say whether you are a candidate for either. In general, when planning body shaping procedures the liposuction comes first followed by the tummy tuck. Sometimes both can be done at the same time. To have a better idea about what is best for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Appropriate treatment of a "barrel chest"

+1

Without at least some photographs to help delineate your problem, it is impossible to provide you with highly useful information. An examination would be necessary in order to provide appropriate recommendations. If the problem is fat, then liposuction may help. If you have a significant deformity of your rib cage, this for all practical purposes, will remain that way.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy tuck or lipo?

+1

In agreement with other responders, a series of photos would be helpful.  Although you may not be able to do much about skeletal structure (ribs), a significant portion of your "barrel chest" may be due to fat distribution, and this IS correctable.  My first step is to help patients such as yourself drop weight, as much as necessary to trim the figure.  Next, adjust surrounding features to feminize silhouette, e.g. Augmenting and/or lifting breasts diminishes visual breadth of ribs and waist.  The preferred solution for you can only be determined in personal consultation.  Seek a surgeon with ABPS certification.

Steve Laverson, MD

Barrel chest correction

+1

It's impossible to comment intelligently without a photograph.  If your problem is fat-based, then liposuction would improve the contour of your chest.  I do not see that an abdominoplasty would be beneficial for your condition.  Plastic surgery can do many things, but it cannot recontour the shape of your ribcage. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Barrel-Chest and surgery

+1

Cosmetic surgery won't affect the underlying structure of your chest - if you truly have a barrel chest, that indicates that your ribcage is shaped in a way that gives a rounded/barrel appearance.  If you have localized fat over your ribcage, liposuction can help reduce this. If you have loose skin, you may need other surgery to remove the loose skin.  I recommend that you consult with a plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss options. Abdominplasty, or tummy tucks, improve the abdomen.

Michelle Spring, MD

Lipo or Tummy Tuck

+1

Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, if you have loose skin, the I would suggest tummy tuck.  If  you have dense fat over your ribs only, then I would suggest lipo.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction would be best

+1

For localized fat in the area of the upper abdomen or rib cage, liposuction would be the most direct approach for improvement as long as the skin tone is fairly good.  "TT" (abdominoplasty) is most beneficial for the lower abdomen.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Barrel chested options

+1

You can't do anything about your underlying genetic anatomy and some folks have barrel shaped trunkc and will never get the shape they want. With no photos these are just generalities but unless weight loss will improve your shape, there is not any role for surgery to tidy up the remaining issues after that.  Sorry.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you  precise advice without direct examination and/or viewing pictures.  based on your description however abdominal wall surgery will likely not be helpful;  you will probably be best served with some type of upper body lifting procedure.

It would be your best interests  to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  This would be best done when you have achieved a long-term stable weight.