Post Tummy Tuck, Lipo, Hernia and Muscle Repair: Pain is Still Intense When I Sneeze

I had a full tt, lipo of flanks, 3 hernias and the muscles repaired 3 weeks ago. How long can I expect this pain from sneezing to last?

Pain after TT

+2

I have had 2 c-sections and a TT myself.  The most painful part is the muscle repair.  For the most part you are reasonably comfortable after 3-4 weeks, but it was 6-8 months before I would say I never felt any discomfort in my abdomen even when doing my yoga back bends.  It takes a lot longer to completely heal than most people think it does.  I remember wondering if it was ever going to get better and I can assure you it does.  It sounds as if you are healing normally so just be patient.  It's worth it.

Tummy Tuck

+1

Pain can last for up to 2 months or more if your repair was extensive.  Ask your surgeon how extensive the repair and your pain status.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck

+1

This type of pain is normal and expected. It will improve each week, but can take up to 3 months to completely go away.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Tummy tuck discomfort

+1

You certainly had a lot done, but aside from the hernias not much more than a standard tummy tuck in my practice. However, I would expect that at 3 weeks the pain is a lot better and that most of it should be gone in another three weeks.Discomfort with some movements or positions could last longer even several months, but you should be at the tolerable stage, controlled perhaps by one of the NSAIDS to deal with residual inflammation and soreness.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

+1

With an extensive tummy tuck your surgeon would have placed some stitches in the muscle, so every time you sneeze you are pulling on those stitches.  This sometimes takes several months to heal, however if you are experiencing fever, redness, excessive swelling or if the pain gets worse, I would recommend following up with your surgeon.

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

A couple of months

+1

It sounds as though you had a very extensive procedure. It is not unusual to be uncomfortable for  3-6 weeks after the surgery. The pain should get slowly better and be resolved pretty completely at 3 months or so.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon