Considering TT/lipo. How Much Downtime Before I Resume Yoga?

5'1, 110 lbs, mother of 2 and 4 yr old, 39 yrs old, actively play tennis and intermediate yoga once to twice a week.

Yoga after tummy tuck

+3

The recovery after tummy tuck will depend on the muscle repair as you abdomen will feel tight and sore for several weeks. Most are up and out within a week, though exercise will take longer. The best way to begin is with low impact aerobic exercise after three to four weeks. Yoga may be too demanding until you have progressed from more gentle pursuits.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Exercise following Tummy Tuck/Liposuction

+2

Resuming exercise, such as yoga, following liposuction and tummy-tuck will vary depending on the actual surgery performed.  For patients who have a full tummy tuck where the abdominal muscle is repaired, most surgeons will restrict heaving lifting for six weeks.  Low impact aerobics and stretching, such as yoga, is typically safe after 10 days following surgery.  Many surgeons will error on the side of caution regarding exercise following surgery.  In my practice, most patients are able to resume their activity based on their own comfort level after about 10 days, beginning with low impact aerobic activity and progressing from there.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

How Much Downtime Before I Resume Yoga after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

+2

Patients may resume active gym use 4-6 weeks after a Tummy Tuck (involving muscle repair). Stiffness and swelling will persist for a few months but you can resume an active life style as you can tolerate it at 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Tummy Tuck and Yoga

+2

The tummy tuck operation is a significant operation that involves abdominal wall muscle " reconstruction”. You would be best served to be prepared for a significant recovery time as well.

Most of my patients are not able to return to Eden “beginner” yoga for 6 weeks after surgery. You may find that it will be several months before you resume your very active lifestyle.

Yoga and tennis after tummy tuck and lipo

+1
You should be able to do yoga and tennis once you've allowed yourself that 6 week wait after surgery and if your recovery has been going well, although you should start off slowly and build up as to not cause damage. For better advice, please ask your surgeon. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Yoga after an abdominoplasty

+1

Your plastic surgeon is the best source for answering your questions.  For my patients I allow light activity at one week, building up to some light physical activity, walking on treadmill, elliptical between the third and fourth weeks.  I advise patients to avoid vigorous activities such as training for a road race for eight weeks.

+1

A Tummy Tuck involves repair of the abdominal muscles, so following a Tummy Tuck/Liposuction procedure you will have activity restrictions. 

You should get up and walk the evening of surgery and several times a day thereafter. This helps improve your breathing which promotes healing.  Light walking also helps prevent a blood clot from forming in your leg and diminishes the risk of pulmonary embolism.  A pulmonary embolism is a blood clot which goes to the lung and can be life threatening.

Most patients start to feel better after a week and are raring to get back to exercise. It is very important to take it easy after a Tummy Tuck!  For the first 2-3 weeks you should avoid any strenuous activity, rigorous exercise, heavy lifting, and straining.  A good rule of thumb is not to lift anything more than 10 pounds.  It is possible to stretch your muscle repair if you do too much following surgery.  You may increase your activity at 3 weeks following surgery and begin your regular exercise at 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  Remember to increase back up to your pre-surgery intensity gradually to avoid injury.  Abdominal exercise can be resumed 12 weeks after surgery.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and downtime

+1

For my patients I recommend about 3-4 weeks downtime before starting aerobic acitivities. I have them avoid heavy lifting and sit-ups for about 6-8 weeks.