I Am Having Tt in May but my PS Has Told Me She Does Not Use Drains I Am 98lbs Do You Think This is Ok?

Traditionally, two drains are used with a full abdominoplasty. However, over the past several years there have been some modifications in the technique, and now sometimes one drain is used. With a different suturing technique, sometimes no drains are used. At the time of your consultation with the plastic surgeon, you can discuss this option with him/her. Multiple factors are taken into account including the size of the patient’s abdomen, whether associated liposuction would be performed, whether quilting sutures are used or tissue adhesives are used. In my particular practice, with a relatively slim individual where it is not anticipated that an excessive amount of tissue would be removed and there will be no liposuction, we are now performing abdominoplasty without any drains whatsoever. This is something you should discuss with your plastic surgeon, and ask him to explain his decision making process about when drains will be placed. As always, I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Cape Girardeau Plastic Surgeon

319 S. Silver Springs Rd.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703

Tummy Tuck without drains

Every surgeon will perform every operation a bit differently.  As more and more operations are done surgeons typically alter their techniques a bit and as more and better techniques become available most surgeons will change their techniques to keep current. No surgeon likes complications.

I am sure your plastic surgeon performs this procedure a certain way because she is comfortable with it and she gets good results with few complications.

If you are not comfortable with her choice I think you should discuss that with her.  Your weight has no influence on whether or not a drain is used.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

12998 South Cleveland Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33907

Drains after tummy tuck?

I use drains with my tummy tuck surgery because of the amount of fluid build up from the body's recovery process.  The drains help to collect the fluid so that the body doesn't have to do the job of absorbing it all.  Each surgeon is different and has different reasons for their techniques.  I encourage you to discuss the reasoning behind your surgeon's techniques with him/her.  It is important that you are comfortable with both your surgeon and the procedure you are considering.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

21300 Provincial Boulevard
Katy, TX 77450

It's OK, but be prepared!!

It is certainly acceptable not to use drains.  Some surgeons use "tacking sutures" or "tissue glue" to help reduce the risk of fluid collection (seroma).  These techniques may add some cost to the procedure.  Drains are not foolproof either, and have the side effect of drain-site scars.  Seroma is one of the more frequent complications of tummy tuck.  If you do develope a seroma, it may need to be addressed.  Remember, you can still develope a seroma even if drains were used.  Most importantly, maintain a good relationship with your surgeon.  If you have any problems, I'm sure whe will address them appropriately...

Good luck, and I hope you have a GREAT result!!!!

Gregory Swank, MD
Hickory Plastic Surgeon

315 19th Street, SE
Hickory, NC 28602

Progressive strenght sutures avoid drain in TT

progressive strength sutures  avoid  drain in TT, even if  it is realized at same time a lypo you avoid  them

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Calle 54 No. 365 T