I Am Having Tt in May but my PS Has Told Me She Does Not Use Drains I Am 98lbs Do You Think This is Ok?

Tummy Tuck without drains

+1

Every surgeon will perform every operation a bit differently.  As more and more operations are done surgeons typically alter their techniques a bit and as more and better techniques become available most surgeons will change their techniques to keep current. No surgeon likes complications.

I am sure your plastic surgeon performs this procedure a certain way because she is comfortable with it and she gets good results with few complications.

If you are not comfortable with her choice I think you should discuss that with her.  Your weight has no influence on whether or not a drain is used.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Drains after tummy tuck?

+1

I use drains with my tummy tuck surgery because of the amount of fluid build up from the body's recovery process.  The drains help to collect the fluid so that the body doesn't have to do the job of absorbing it all.  Each surgeon is different and has different reasons for their techniques.  I encourage you to discuss the reasoning behind your surgeon's techniques with him/her.  It is important that you are comfortable with both your surgeon and the procedure you are considering.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

It's OK, but be prepared!!

+1

It is certainly acceptable not to use drains.  Some surgeons use "tacking sutures" or "tissue glue" to help reduce the risk of fluid collection (seroma).  These techniques may add some cost to the procedure.  Drains are not foolproof either, and have the side effect of drain-site scars.  Seroma is one of the more frequent complications of tummy tuck.  If you do develope a seroma, it may need to be addressed.  Remember, you can still develope a seroma even if drains were used.  Most importantly, maintain a good relationship with your surgeon.  If you have any problems, I'm sure whe will address them appropriately...

Good luck, and I hope you have a GREAT result!!!!

Gregory Swank, MD
Hickory Plastic Surgeon

Progressive strenght sutures avoid drain in TT

+1

progressive strength sutures  avoid  drain in TT, even if  it is realized at same time a lypo you avoid  them

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Progressive tension sutures may avoid use of drains with tummy tuck

+1

Because of the need for wide undermining of the skin in a tummy tuck, there can be a tendency for fluid buildup. With the use of a technique called progressive tension sutures, there is much less fluid buildup and many surgeons who use this technique find that drains are not necessary. My preference is to use them for a couple of days because we also use an On-Q pump that diminishes post op discomfort and I have found that there is s slightly higher tendency for some fluid. See my article "Controlled Results with Abdominoplsty" on the link below.

Richard Baxter, MD

Drains and Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

You will find that every plastic surgeon has  a different way of doing things. Assuming you have done your due diligence and are confident in the abilities of your plastic surgeon (having seen a lot of examples of the plastic surgeons work),  then you will have to “accept” the way she does things or seek additional consultations.

If you have specific concerns (such as the use of drains)  it is okay to ask your surgeon about her reasoning  behind her decision-making.  If her explanation makes sense to then you will feel better about proceeding;  if not, seeking additional opinions  from other surgeons may be helpful.

It's OK to not use drains.

+1

Each plastic surgeon will tailor the surgery to best meet their patients needs.  Some use drains and others do not.  Both approaches are acceptable.  To avoid the use of drains, some plastic surgeons will do internal tacking sutures to sew the abdominal flap to the fascia of the rectus muscles, thereby closing this space where the fluid would collect.  Most times this works well and drains are avoided.  Occasionally some fluid collects but it is easily dealt with in the office.  Good luck.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD