My Doctor Doesn't Do Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair - Is That Normal?

i am considering a tt--my dr said she doesn't do muscle repair. is that nromal?

Repair of muscle is a critical portion tummy tuck

+2

In my experience, a muscle repair is absolutely required to achieve a better result IF a significant diastasis exists. So, to answer your question, I would recommend that you find a surgeon who does perform a muscle repair or at least explains why you do not need one.

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

+1

While there are some instances when muscle tighening is not indicated, in most cases it is beneficial.  This is especially true in women who have had children as well as men and women who have lost a significant amount of weight.  If your surgeon never performs muscle repair, I would get a second opinion from a ABPS board certified plastic surgeon.

Laurence Weider, MD

It is okay in the right situation

+1

In some circumstances it is very reasonable to perform a tummy tuck without muscle repair.  This means that the abdominal muscles are tight and flat.  In most patients this is not the case.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

MUSCLE REPAIR IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF TUMMY TUCK

+1

Hmmmm....

Does your surgeon does not want to do muscle repair on you because you don't need it, or dose he/she not do repair on every body?

If the latter is true, then I highly recommend seeing another surgoen, preferably a board certified plastic surgeon.  Have you seen before and after photos of your doctor's work?

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Repairing the muscle during abdominoplasty is almost always performed.

+1

Repairing the muscle during abdominoplasty is almost always performed, and is one of the most helpful components of creating a flat abdomen.  I would be very surprised if a board certified plastic surgeon doesn't offer that as part of the procedure.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

No Muscle Repair After Tummy Tuck

+1

Muscle repair can make one of the biggest contributions to a quality tummy tuck, and produces much of the toned, youthful look most women desire.

If you have not had children, and/or do not have much separation of your abdominal muscles (called diastsis recti) then muscle repair might not be needed.

I would have a lot of questions for a surgeon who says they "never" do muscle repair.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

My Doctor Doesn't Do Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair

+1

Very unusual but it is a possibility. Seek other opinions from boarded plastic surgeons in your area, Chicago. I'm sure you can find other opinions than it is up to you to decide who or which doctor is speaking the truth. 

Muscle repair with tummy tuck is normal

+1

Tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is typically done with muscle repair.  It is NOT normal to not do muscle repair with tummy tuck.  Tummy tuck is usually done to repair the loose skin and bulge of the tummy that occurs with pregnancy.  Muscle repair is an important part of this repair.  Recheck with your doctor or get a second opinion.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repairs are needed in almost all tummy tucks

+1

Except in men who have lost excess weight, almost all patients who need a tummy tuck will benefit from muscle tightening.  Some need more than others but virtually all will be better having some done.  I'd be a bit skeptical of a doctor who actually says that they never repair the muscle.  Almost sounds like a non-plastic surgeon pretending to be a real plastic surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Muscle repair in Tummy Tuck

+1

I have never done an abdominoplasty without also tightening the “muscle.” If your skin has stretched enough to need a tummy tuck, your muscle fascia has also stretched. You said your “doctor,” not your Plastic Surgeon. Some non Plastic Surgeons may not do all the steps required to obtain the optimal result because of lack of training. I would check credentials and discuss any concerns with your doctor.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon