Sleeping Position After Tummy Tuck

I Had my TT on Wed, I Am Comfortable Sleeping on my Side. Will I do any damage by sleeping on my side? I had op 2 days ago.

Sleeping on Side Not Problem after TT

+4

Your body will let you know if you are in bad position sleeping or otherwise following a tummy tuck.  The only downside is that you may develop more swelling on the dependent side if you you tend to sleep on one side only.

Will I do any damage by sleeping on my side after tummy tuck surgery?

+3

No, you probably wont do any damage sleeping on your side, but the standard sleeping position after tummy tuck surgery is in the "beach chair" or "recliner"  position. This position will  take pressure or tension off of your abdominal incision and relaxes your abdominal muscles, giving you less discomfort.

Sleeping on your side this early after surgery will cause more swelling on the dependent side. There also may be a discrepancy in your drain output (if your surgeon uses drains). Good luck and speedy recovery.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

No, I don't think you will do any damage sleeping on your side following a tummy tuck.

+2

No, I don't think you will do any damage sleeping on your side following a tummy tuck. The most important thing is that you are comfortable and your body will tell you if there is any problem sleeping on your side. Essentially if it is not listen to your body if its not painful it should be fine.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and sleeping

+2

I prefer that may patients either sleep in a back up position like on a beach chair or lying on their side with their knees bent.

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

+2

Sleep however you are comfortable, even if that means sleeping on your side.  Of course, use reason and common sense--I wouldn't try to sleep on your stomach, for instance.  But if you're comfortable on your side, it's fine.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Sleeping Protocol Following Tummy Tuck

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have difficulty sleeping on their back following surgery.  For this reason, they are often eager to return to side or abdomen sleeping.  Unfortunately after abdominoplasty we feel that it’s important to keep the abdomen flexed for one to two weeks following surgery.  This avoids tension on the wound closure and minimizes the potential for wound breakdown and spread of the scar.

Therefore we generally recommend that patients sleep in a recliner chair for one to two weeks following abdominoplasty.  Although patients may stay flexed while sleeping on their sides, they sometimes turn and extend their backs reflexedly.  This doesn’t happen in a recliner chair. 

No two patients are the same and for this reason, it’s important to individualize post-operative care.  If you’re concerned about this issue, it’s important to discuss post-operative care with your surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position following tummy tuck

+1
I generally advise my patients to sleep in a recliner position for 5-7 days following tummy tuck.  Head elevated on pillows with pillows under knees to take tension off of the tummy tuck incision.  Sleeping on your side will not damage anything but you may experience more swelling and discomfort.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping Position Restrictions After Tummy Tuck

+1

Regarding: "Sleeping Position After Tummy Tuck
I Had my TT on Wed, I Am Comfortable Sleeping on my Side. Will I do any damage by sleeping on my side? I had op 2 days ago
."

Most women find it easier to sleep on their sides or on their backs with several pillows under their knees. Your body will tell you what feels best. You will do not damage by sleeping on your bed on your side. If in doubt, consult with your surgeon. He may feel differently about it . (You KNOW how those British surgeons are...)

Dr. Peter Aldea

Sleepiong on side folllowing tummy tuck

+1

There are several factors that may influence postoperative activity restrictions and your surgeon may have specific recommnedations. However, it should be relatively safe as long as you do not put excessice pressure or stress on the muscle or skin repair.

PO Tummy Tuck . Sleeping Position?

+1

You will be much better off having this question answered by your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best, is aware of your progress ( and whether or not you are experiencing any complications)  and is ultimately responsible for your care. Receiving  postoperative care advice online  can only be confusing and/or dangerous.