TT Before Pregnancy?

I am 5'4, 138 pounds and 32. I have lost a lot of weight over the past 10 years. I always have to wear spanks to make my loose skin appear tight under my clothes. If I have children it won't be for another 5 years. How much would one pregnancy mess up a TT?

Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy

+2

I do not recommend patients have a Tummy Tuck prior to pregnancy.  It would be in your best interest to have your children, then consider surgery.

Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy?

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on this weight loss and the description of your abdominal wall "loose skin”, you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. As you know, there is a chance that additional surgery may be necessary if you have the tummy tuck surgery performed before pregnancies.

Unfortunately, there is no way of predicting with any degree of accuracy how an individual patient's abdominal wall will change  with pregnancy ( after tummy tuck surgery).

Understanding that the “ideal” situation is rare, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Your decision whether or not to proceed with tummy tuck surgery will likely come down to a personal decision  only you can make when you have weighed the pros/cons of performing the surgery at this time. You will need to evaluate how much the current appearance of your abdominal wall concerns you…and weigh this concern against the potential need for further surgery after you have completed pregnancies.

TT before pregnancy

+1

You would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck from your history BUT if you plan to have children I would wait. A tummy tuck done prior will be undone and you would need another procedure.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy

+1

There is always a question of whether to do a tummy tuck before a possible future pregnancy.  Each case should be judge on its own merits.  If the patient is really troubled by the look of the abdomen and pregnancy will not be in the near future, tummy tuck is not unreasonable.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pregnancy Following Tummy Tuck

+1

If you have a lot of extra skin after weight loss and are not planning on getting pregnant for a few years, I would not hesitate to have a tummy tuck as long as you realize that depending upon how your body reacts to the pregnancy you may want a second tummy tuck in the future.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Finish Family First

+1

Pregnancy will change the result of your tummy tuck dramatically.  I recommend completing your family first then seek evaluation for a tummy tuck.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy tuck, abdominoplasty, is best put off until no further pregnancies planned.

+1

A tummy tuck addresses multiple aesthetic problems after childbirth in the average case. The pregnancy, although possible, after a tummy tuck would do much of what was accomplished originally. It would be best to wait until no further childbirth is anticipated.

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

+1

I advise patients who have already had children but haven't completed their families to wait until childbearing has been completed.  Since you are talking about having children five years down the road and have lost a great deal of weight, if you desire to improve your appearance now, go for it--but with the caveat that you may need revision after pregnancy.  Even one pregnancy can have an effect, particularly if you gain a lot of weight or require a C-section.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

TT Before Pregnancy

+1

If you are not planning pregnancies for 5 years, and you want the improvement now, having a TT makes perfect sense to me. A pregnancy will stretch out your abdomen, and only time will tell if it will shrink down or if you will be considering another TT.

All the best. 

Pregnancy after a Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not recommended to have a tummy tuck and then get pregnant. Once you have a tummy tuck, your abdomen may not stretch to carry the baby to full term increasing the risk of a premature birth. The best time to have a tummy tuck is after your child bearing years.

Leo Lapuerta, MD