TT After Laser Lipo - Full, Mini, is It Possible? (photo)

I've had several consults for a tt after having laser lipo (1 year ago). One PS is conservative & only wishes to do a "mini tt" which will not address the wrinkly skin above my belly. This PS is concerned about an indentation caused by laser lipo; worried the skin will die during the tt. Other PSs say a full tt will be fine & aren't worried about the indentation/thin skin area my belly button. Does the conservative PS have reason to worry or can I get the full tt?

Full Tummy Tuck

+1

A full tummy tuck should be able to be performed safely after one year, and the full tummy tuck will definitely give you a much better result.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will likely do best with a full tummy tuck operation;  best to proceed with this operation when you have achieved a long-term stable weight, if you are not there already.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+1

You have enough skin for a full tummy tuck. It will give you a much flatter stomach and a better result in the long run. Any problems you could potentially have due to the thin skin above your belly button would be minor and probably well worth the results you will get from the full tummy tuck.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

You need full tummy tuck

+1

You have a lot of extra skin and will do better with full tummy tuck. Your surgeon's concerns about the complications post tummy tuck are valid. The surgery should be done by a qualified ,certified plastic surgeon. You were a bad candidate for laser lipo.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

TT After Laser Lipo - Full, Mini, is It Possible?

+1

GO for the full tummy tuck.

The problems with your abdomen are present in the upper and lower abdomen.  A mini TT would address only the lower, and create an imbalance that would probably look worse rather than better. 

Tummy tucks are frequently done after liposuction of all kinds. One year after lipo of any sort there should be no added risk. 

All the best.