I Had a TT 4years Ago,i Would Like to Know the Consequence of Having Another Baby??

i would like to know the consequence after the pregnancy....... it's the fetus going to have enough space?? thank you

Tummy tuck and future pregnancy, childbirth.

+2

The published literature in plastic surgery indicates that having had a tummy tuck presents no harm or increased risk to the fetus.  Usually the abominal wall stretches again. That doesn't mean that you, the mother and carrier of the fetus, may not have problems with your abdominal wall assoicated with the pregnancy. Most of the time that can be fixed after you have had your child and recovered from the pregnancy. You may need or want another tummy tuck but that can't be predicted with any degree of certainty. I hope this helps.

Pregnancy and tummy tucks

+1

In over 25 years of performing 1000's of tummy tucks, I have never had any patient that had problems with carrying the pregnancy. Here are salient points:

• Getting pregnant and carrying the pregnancy should not be a problem after a tummy tuck
  • Most patients will not need to have the tummy tuck "re-done"
  • Occasionally a twin prgenancy may require a "touch-up"
  • If your are actively seeking a family, wait to have your tummy tuck

Yor pregnancy and having a healthy child should be the primary concern.

Jose Perez-Gurri, M.D, F.A.C.S.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Pregnancy after Tummy tuck

+1

As you can see from many of the posts, by experienced plastic surgeons, the concensus seems to be that anecdotally (what we have seen in our practices), women deliver healthy babies but may incur stretching of the abdominal wall.

I would concur from what I have seen in my practice as well.

That being said, patients who are contemplating having more children in the near future should wait to have their tummy tuck until after they are done having children.

The million dollar question is whether there are ill effects on the growing fetus as a result of a prior tummy tuck, such as low birth weight or early delivery.  There is no study to my knowledge showing this, and I would be surprised if it were the case.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy Tuck Not Likely To Affect Future Pregnancy

+1

There is not likely to be any problems to your fetus directly related to your previous tummy tuck.  Your abdominal wall should expand to allow room for the fetus to develop despite the previous surgery.  The obvious downside is that the pregnancy will probably undo the benefits of your tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

It is relatively unusual to have a pregnancy after a tummy tuck but things do happen.

I have had three patients get pregnant after a tummy tuck and none of these pregnancies were complicated in any way by the prior tummy tuck.  Also the appearance of the abdomen after the pregnancy was quite good.  None of these patients needed or wanted more surgery to improve their abdomen.

It would be important to alert your OB-GYN to the fact that you have had a tummy tuck so you can be monitored more closely as the pregnancy progresses.

Thank you for your question and good luck

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Generally, patients are able to have normal pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery. However, I have heard anecdotally (recently) from patients and OB/GYN physicians that the abdominal wall can be very tight and that some OB/GYN's recommend earlier delivery if possible. Check with your own OB/GYN for his/her experience in this situation.

Depending on the weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc.  revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy. This is a situation where only time will tell.

Best Wishes!

Had a TT 4years Ago what are the Consequence of Having Another Baby??

+1

A growing fetus takes the uterus from its normal size (a lemmon) to the size of a large watermelon. In the process it stretches out the pelvis, the abdominal muscles and the skin. The flat tummy obtained through your previous tummy tuck will be stretched out again and you will lose to a variable extent the tightness achieved by the previous operation.

This is why ideally a Tummy Tuck should be done when you completed your family.

As far as the fetus, I would not worry about it. The baby grows gradually and the growing uterus would overcome the previous repair.