TT & MR 30 Days Ago. Did I Over-do It? Feel Sore Under Ribcage. (photo)

I had my TT with MR 4 weeks ago. I did attempt to get back to work as a care aide, but quickly realized my body was not ready. So, I feel like I've taken 2 steps backwards. I feel a 'twing'or slight heaviness just below the centre of my ribcage, and I am worried that I have caused major or minor damage. I am going to see PS (out of town) next week. However, I'd like to rest my mind. Also, should I be wearing my binder tight? or semi-tight..

Tummy tuck and feeling like something wrong.

+1

Hi,

Nice result.  You are in the very early stages after your procedure and it is very common to feel pains here and there and odd feelings due to the tightening of the muscles and the modification of the nerves to the areas of the surgery.

It is highly unlikely that you have done any injury to your surgery.  Your result as mentioned is very nice at this stage and if you hurt something significant, you would not have this result.  Still a good idea to check in with your doctor so you can be reassured of your progress. 

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Sore under ribcage after tummy tuck

+1

You look like you have an excellent early result that should improve with time and resolution of swelling...the tightness under your ribcage is likely where the muscle plication was done to flatten your abdominal wall...it is common to have discomfort here when beginning to exercise...it is best to confirm that you do not have any fluid accumulation or rupture of any sutures with activity, though this would be rare...an examination would be most helpful to answer these issues.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

TT & MR 30 Days Ago. Did I Over-do It? Feel Sore Under Ribcage.

+1

Appears as a GREAT result. But each person's healing time can vary widely. In your case you may need 6 weeks to 2 months to recovery. You stated out of town surgery, what distance in same country or truly out of town. 

Sore after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is not uncommon to experience the sensations you describe 4 weeks after tummy tuck surgery. Based on this description alone, I doubt that you have caused either “major or minor damage”. Of course, physical examination will be necessary to verify.  in regards to the abdominal wall binder, I do not think a “tight” fit is necessary. Although you should run this by your plastic surgeon, I generally ask my patients to switch to a “spanks” type compressive garment at this point.

Hello

+1
We like to tell our patients that before starting normal life activity,heavy lifting you need to wait 6 to 8 weeks. From your picture it's hard to see whether you have accumulated fluid. Seeing your plastic surgeon is a great idea.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

If there is no fluid collection you are likely ok

+1

It is not uncommon to feel better around this time in the recovery period of an abdominoplasty and overdo the level of activity.  If you do not have fluid collection that is noticeable you are likely ok.  Fluid collection is an indication that some of the healing tissue has separated and is in the process of healing again.  Fluid collection may be noticeable as a fluid wave when you tap your abdomen with your hand.  I suspect you are ok.  You could always have your plastic surgeon take a look to make sure.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Healing after tummy tuck

+1

These feelings may be normal reactions of your body to increased activity after this intense surgery. I like for my patients to return to most activity at 2-3 weeks and let their body guide them.  Every patient is unique as some take longer and others shorter to bounce back. I do have them refrain from heavy lifting for 6-8 weeks after a muscle repair, though. I also encourage my patients to wear the binder as long as possible in a "snug" position, not super tight. Check back with your surgeon's instructions and follow them the best you can. Good Luck.

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Worried after tummy tuck

+1

You look like you are off to a great result. It's normal to feel twinges of pain as you become more active. i typically do not want my patients to exercise for 6 weeks after a tummy tuck in order to allow the muscle tightening to heal better. Just take it easy till your Plastic surgeon returns and then check in for instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD