I Had TT 20 Days Ago. I'm Still Using the Drain?

I had TT 20 days ago . I'm still using the drain . The one in right side is draining normal red blood but the one on left side showing dark blood . The amount of blood for each 30-50cc. Is it will be fine if I removed them both ?

From most abdominoplasties drains are not needed.

+1

I seldom use drains after in abdominoplasty preferring regular quilting sutures to obliterate the dead space. There is no absolute amount of time dictated when a drain is placed. Its removal is at the discretion of the surgeon.

Red drainage 20 days after an abdominoplasty

+1

I generally like the drainage from an abdominoplasty to be less than 30 cc over a 24 hour period before the drains are removed.  The seroma fluid is usually initially a reddish color but over the next few days it usually turns to a clear yellow color.  You may have some addition source of bleeding or an old hematoma that is gradually being evacuated if it is still red after 20 days.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon. 

+1

there is no an exact period of time  for  drain removal.  Although there is  an average time to do it ( usually betwen 7 to 10 days), each patient  have a particular evolution and  based on this  the surgeon will know when to remove the drain. The red color of the liquid drained indicates that  there is probably a bleeding source or  hematoma , I believe that any concerns about the drainage you  should discuss with your surgeon who  best  knows  what is happening, good luck

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

Drain Removal After Abdominoplasty

+1

Most surgeons would like to see a pretty low amount of drainage from each drain before removing them ( usually less than 20-30cc over 24h), as well as a straw color, not a red color.  I would check with your surgeon for their instructions, but based on the information you provided, I would not remove either at this point.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Drain Removal after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

As practices will vary from one plastic surgeon to another, best to run this type of question by your own plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Removal of drains

+1

You should not remove your own drains. Your surgeon has left them in for a reason. You should discuss the game plan with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

Most surgeons use 30cc as the threshold for drain removal, and most drains are out by a week, but some do take longer. Usually the drainage after a few days is quite clear yellow. The color you note suggests that somewhere along the line there was some bleeding. 

The decision about removing these should be made by your surgeon, who knows you, knows what was done, and has followed your recovery. 

All the best. 

Removal of drains 3 weeks post-op

+1

Normally drains are removed at one week to 10 days in my practice, but on some occasions we certainly feel the need to leave them longer.  There really is no set number of days that we should look at to remove drains, and we actually should wait until the fluid drainage is low enough that it would be safe to remove them.  Typically we wait until the drainage is at least down to 20 -  30 cc in a 24 hour period, and if this takes three weeks or longer, then that is how long we have to wait.  To remove them sooner would increase the chances of a seroma which would then need serial aspiration to manage.  In your case, the fact that you are still having some blood in your drains leads one to believe that there was probably some bleeding after your surgery, or there may be a source of ongoing slow bleeding such as a raw area, like granulation tissue, that is slow in healing, and this may be playing a role in the delay in removing the drains.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD