Do I Have to Tell TSA Agents About Breast Implants at the Airport?

If you choose the pat down vs. the scanner, do you to tell screeners you have implants when they ask if you have any internal implants? I am going to travel over the holidays & I know 2 of the airports I will be going through have the TSA scanners. I am so nervous about having to go through the whole humiliating process! Do you have any tips to make this experience better?

Breast implants can be seen by some scanners.

+3

The newest scanners can indeed "see" breast implants, but you certainly don't need to tell TSA officials they are there--they can see that for themselves. I agree with Dr. Aldea: tell them you have no metallic implants. If they can't detect your implants, no problem. If they can, you have still told the truth and only an insensitive agent would accuse you of "concealing" the truth. Realize that if they can see breast implants, they can see chin and cheek implants, finger joint replacements, chemo catheters, shunts for water on the brain, testicular implants, and anything containing metal, like breast tissue expanders, pacemakers, and any artificial hip, knee, or shoulder joint, etc. Lots of people have them and it's truly "ho, hum" for the TSA screeners.

Realize they don't really care if you have had breast enhancement, they just don't want someone to sneak through with something harmful to you and your fellow passengers. Happy travels, now and always!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and the TSA

+2

Most implants do not contain any metal with the exception of tissue expanders that may have an integrated or remote metal port. In this case you may want to notify the TSA agent and should ask your physician for an implant identification card to confirm the medical necessity.

Do You Have Tell TSA Agents About Breast Implants at the Airport?

+2

Regarding: "Do You Have Tell TSA Agents About Breast Implants at the Airport?
If you choose the pat down vs. the scanner, do you to tell screeners you have implants when they ask if you have any internal implants? I am going to travel over the holidays & I know 2 of the airports I will be going through have the TSA scanners. I am so nervous about having to go through the whole humiliating process! Do you have any tips to make this experience better
?"

Hell NO!  Having Breast Implants is a personal matter and it's none of the TSA damn business.

Just because you are taking a flight to get from point A to point B does NOT mean that you have automatically given up all your rights to privacy and I would respond by saying that you have no metallic implants. Period. Breast implants do not have metallic components, will not be picked up on any Scan and pose NO threat to anyone. Therefore, it is none of the TSA's business if you have them or not.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Scanners

+2

Scanners-It is a needed evil and its meant for our protection from terrorism and safe travel. So please fell better about it.

Some airports have sophisticated scanners that will show that you have breast implants. Don't think of it too much. You  are not the only woman. Most women have implants these days.

These scanners not only pick up implants but also all kinds of body implants.

Safe travels.

John M. Anastasatos, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+1

You can tell the TSA about them if you want but they usually do not have any metal in them to activate the metal detectors( only the tissue expanders and the Beckers)  The new scanners will probaly see them.