Is It True That Plated Rich Plasma Make the Fat Cells Survive Up to 90 %?

i read some dr used prp in fat transfer ( The fat that has PRP added is called “SmartFat”. SmartFat can be thought of as sending “text messages” to the body to help promote fat cell survival. PRP also helps the stem cells within the SmartFat to excrete a hormone that helps attract blood to an area) to make the risul preminant ?

+1

I think this is a difficult question to answer. There are no medical studies that conclusively show that fat survives up to 90% with platelet rich plasma or PRP. The quality of the fat harvested, technique used to inject fat, cannula size and cannula types used to inject fat, and location of the fat injection into the fat into the face predicts more the survival then the pure injection of platelet rich plasma or PRP. I believe if healthy fat is harvested in a atraumatic  fashion, injected meticulously in a atraumatic fashion and put in a highly vascular area of the face, that the majority of the fat will survive.  In areas of low vascularity of his face, typically the malar (upper cheek) and lower cheek area, may do better with mixing the fat with platelet rich plasma or PRP.

Plated rich plasma

+1

I work as an aesthetic facial plastics surgical tech and I have seen many procedures and many situations. I feel Fat Transfer is the best option to go with because the outcome can offer many results that the traditional incision procedures does not. For instance, as described on our web site volumizing will eliminate the extra skin and fill any unwanted wrinkles and lines. If you go with the traditional face lift all that is accomplished is tightening. When we age we experience muscle and bone loss loosing volume. The youthful appearance is much contributed by the volume.  Fat transfer brings back the volume taking of over ten years or more. The procedure is a lot less invasive and the only cutting and sutures are limited to 2-3 centimeters where the fat was harvested. I have read about the “Vampire” form of fat grafting and because there isn’t a lot of research on yet I wouldn’t recommend using it for more than added support to the stem cells in the fat.

Kindest regards

AFPS

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

+1

Fat cells need oxygen, and even “smart fat” needs oxygen.  I have not read any recent peer reviewed articles advocating this method of fat transfer. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Platelet rich plasma and fat

+1

Although there have been some reports of people trying this, more recent presentations at our scientific meetings don't seem to show any benefit in fat cell survival with the addition of PRP.

So, I'm afraid that "SmartFat" is, at worst, a marketing gimmick, and at best,  very optimistic.

Thomas Fiala, MD

The effects of PRP are still not clearly known.

+1

This procedure needs a good double blind study to see if there is any real substance to the claims.  We are all hoping the ultimate youth serum that promote good healing, longer life and beauty.  We will need to wait for some good scientific evidence.   It is a safe procedure, however you may be paying extra for no greater benefit.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

This is marketing, with no scientific basis.

+1

I have attached a link to the ASPS position paper on Stem Cells in Plastic Surgery. People like something 'new' and marketers will cater to that weakness. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Stem Cells, Platelet Rich Plasma Stimulate Fat Grafts?

+1

There is great enthusiasm in the medical and scientific world about the possibility that stem cells will one day be shown to have properties that rejuvenate and heal. It is a very exciting possibility.  But just as Ponce de Leon never found his fountain of youth, stem cells and platelet rich plama remain  illusive as a  cure-all.  Plastic surgeons are hopeful that the stem cells that are present in the connective tissues of fat may stimulate growth of fat grafts and make  skin look younger. That day is not here yet.  There is no scientific validity to this claim at the present time.  The doctor with "smart fat" may hope to attract some not so smart people to try it on. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Fat transfer

+1

The use of PRP or platelet rich plasma to promote a better take of the graft has its proponents.How ever ther is no scietific evidence that it does. There is no peer reviewed articles that provide enough data. PRP has some groth factors but we do not know if they actualy play a role in the graft take.

We also has no proof at all that the PRP affects stem cells and how.