Trusting Smart Lipo Doctor Certified by AACS?

I have been looking around for dr that perform Smart Lipo. I have seen a number of plastic surgeon but the one I like the most is cosmetic surgeon certified from the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. Can I rely on that or not? Please advise?

You can't rely upon anything 100%. While AACS is a start, it all comes down to their quality.

+1

AACS is a conglomeration of many specialties who train in some aspects of plastic surgery/cosmetic surgery and offer different approaches to cosmetic surgery. SmartLipo is a refinement of liposuction, but it alone isn't going to make or break your experience.

In my office we do the tumescent liposuction along with SmartLipo. While I like the addition that SmartLipo can bring to the table, it only makes the skin retract a little more and allows me to get about 100 to 400 cc more at each surgery. I like that, but if I had to choose between what is more important, the tumescent method would win out in a heartbeat.

Most plastic surgeons do not offer tumescent liposuction, whereas most dermatologists do as it was invented by a dermatologist. For example, if you are put under or have to go to a hospital for your surgery, your not getting true tumescent liposuction. Additionally, if you have bruising or recovery periods that are more than about 24 hours, you aren't getting tumescent.

The beauty of tumescent along with SmartLipo is that you get the best of both worlds. The AACS means that you stand a chance of having a dermatologist as your surgeon and that means your recovery period may be quicker, you may have less bruising and they may get more fat from you with smaller incision sites.

Good luck on your surgery.

Omaha Dermatologist

AACS? Look only for ABPS certified doctors.

+1

Let me start from the beginning. Why are you set on SmartLipo? There isn't a shred of published data to support its use. Don't focus on any one technique; focus on finding the best clinician, and let him/her use the method that will work best in their hands.

While there may be excellent doctors within the AACS, it is my opinion that their criteria for membership is not as stringent as is ASAPS. All ASAPS members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), which is the gold-standard in the credentialling of plastic surgeons.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

You need to understand the difference

+1

The AACS is NOT recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties as a legitimate certificate of competency. Doctors who carry this are NOT real plastic surgeons and may not have any formal training in plastic surgery at all.

Additionally, Smart lipo has NOT been proven to be better than traditional lipo in the hands of a trained plastic surgeon. Many doctors promoting Smart lipo are not real plastic surgeons. I have personally seen at least 4 patients ruined by these doctors and their use of Smart lipo.

Please be very careful in choosing the best real board certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) and follow their advice for you. That should be the core of your search, not finding who does Smart lipo just because it is heavily advertised.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS