Is It True That W/ 450cc Vol. Implants Asymmetry Will Not Show? Surgery in 2 Weeks, Really Need Advice.

I am getting a 2nd BA in 2 weeks. Currently have 286 cc & 304 cc due to asymmetry. I want to go bigger to 450cc. My PS says that with that size there is no need to use different size implants in each breast since 450 implants are so large that asymmetry will NOT show. He ordered me 450 cc only! I have doubts, please advise. I feel like different implants should be used even with larger volume. Should I ask him to use different volume or just trust him?

Sizing breast implants

+2

This is a good question.  Often patients get very hung up on the size of implants and it becomes a point of comparison with other women.  Without pictures and an examination, it is difficult to give recommendations on the size of implants as this is the most important feature when selecting implants.  The difference in your implants now is extremely small.  Such a small difference with larger implants is nearly impossible to discern.  It sounds like one more meeting with your surgeon would be beneficial for your piece of mind and he or she can explain the implant selection for your specific case.  Best of luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Asymmetry in Breast Augmentation

+2

No matter how large an implant one uses, if the same size is used on each side, asymmetry will not be eliminated. However, the larger you go the less obvious the asymmetry is since the amount of difference becomes proportionally less. Your asymmetry is only 20 cc if your previous implants corrected it. At a breast implant size of 450 cc, the next size is more than 20 cc (usually about 50 cc) different. Therefore, at that size, you may create more asymmetry than you presently have if you attempt to use different sized implants.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+2

Going up in size will show less asymmetry. Think about it the %  difference will become lower as the volume increases.  18 cc difference is barely noticeable.

Sizing

+2

This really requires an in person exam, but without at least photos it is not likely that our responses will be terribly useful.

Your current implants are 18 cc apart in volume, and that is barely more than a tablespoon. The closest implants in volume to the 450 are 25 cc apart. That is more different that the current implants are different, albeit slightly so.  I would be surprised if you could tell the difference between the two.

Rather than listen to advice from surgeons on line who have not enough info, another conversation with your own surgeon seems like a good choice. All the best. 

Minimize implant size by simultaneous lift

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or stated your bra size.  The goal of breast surgery is to produce beautiful breasts.  Beauty is determined by several factors including symmetry, skin tone, position of breast on the chest wall, position of areola, cleavage, shape and least of all volume.  Obviously, you are dissatisfied with your current state but I am not sure larger implants will solve your problem.  Remember large implants have added weight, which will create more problems, descend quickly and further than smaller implants.  It is possible that you would benefit from a breast lift procedure more than implantation.  There is a new procedure called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift, which requires only a circumareola incision.  Using this technique it is possible to reshape your breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness and cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tisssue and implant high on the chest wall over the bony prominence will give you the maximum projection with a minimal size implant.  You may be a candidate for this new procedure.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breast and same sized implants

+1

will still reflect the larger volume you had on your larger side.  But it may not be terribly easy to appreciate through your molded cup bra will not lie.  I tell my patients who have asymmetry to imagine their breasts like a ping pong ball and a golf ball... the golf ball obviously larger.  Now add a baseball to each and the it will be difficult to tell the difference.  Still, if there is an obvous difference, patients should have the right to choose asymmetric implant if they want... its really your choice.

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetry and breast implant volume

+1

Here's what you need to know about breast asymmetry and implant volume. 

Asymmetry can be a pure volume difference or just a shape difference or a mix of both. We currently have no simple way to measure existing breast volume or what your volume is with your current implants. Having the exact number of cc's of an implant makes it seem like we have control over this issue. 

The current difference in volume between your implants is not significant or noticeable and if you look equal now, the plastic surgeon is correct to ignore it with larger implants. Let's say the volume (not shape) of your two breasts before the augmentation was 10% different. If implants were put in that are the same volume but doubled the size of your breasts (fairly common with implants), then the difference between your two breasts is now 5%. With larger implants of the same size, this difference would be even less. 

One of the minor advantages of the saline-filled implant is that small adjustments in volume can be made with the same implant. In gel-filled implants this is not possible but it doesn't sound like it should matter in your situation. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

First, are you even now??  If the 20 cc difference has fully corrected your asymmetry to date then maintain the 20 cc difference in the new implants.  However, if you are currently slightly still uneven use this second surgery to adjust the volume difference.  Talk to your PS about you concerns, a careful planning now will avoid headaches down the road.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

+1

The larger the implants that are used the less breast you have relative to implant and yes the less the asymmetry will be apparent

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Are your breasts symmetrical now?

+1

Couple of important points: you have midrange style 15 implants in now and are going to high profile it sounds like (450cc). This is a good idea to keep a similar width to your current implants. You probably will not notice the difference too much but I would probably put 425 and 450 cc in just to be safe.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon