Vertical Technique Has More Lasting Breast Shape Than Traditional Anchor Technique - True?

Is It True That Any Vertical Technique Has More Lasting Breast Shape Than Traditional Anchor Technique, Why?

Lollipop vs vertical breast lift

+2

in my experience a lollipop, otherwise known as an inverted-t breast lift gives a better shape and form to the beast long term. the vertical breast lift can be used in a limited cases and also can bottom out. the tightening of the skin as well as the patients skin elasticity has the most important effect on the extend of bottoming out.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com/p_breast_lift.htm

Vertical Mastopexy or Anchor Mastopexy Better?

+1

Like many things in plastic surgery,  you will find many firm opinions but limited objective support for the opinions. I feel it is safe to say that neither one of the procedures is necessarily “better” or more  “long-lasting”.

More important than the specific technique is matching the patient's anatomy to the most appropriate technique to accomplish the patient's specific goals. Plastic surgeon selection becomes critical.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastlift.htm

Which breast lift holds up better?

+1
There is some disagreement among plastic surgeons as to the pros and cons of vertical versus anchor lifts. Periareolar or circular lifts work well for mild sagging, and in my opinion only work well with implants as the tightening effect is so mild that the filling effect of the implant is needed. Greater degrees of sagging need a vertical component, either with a lollipop lift or an anchor lift, depending upon the severity. Some surgeons feel that vertical lifts can, in their hands, give better upper fill without implants...other surgeons do not believe that this fill lasts, and have seen some patients whose vertical lifts have left them with a contour deformity that needs revision. The controversy continues. In the proper hands either technique may give you a good result depending upon the severity of your problem.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-lift-surgery.html

Vertical lift holds up better than full breast lift? - False

+1

I have had to revise many people's vertical lifts done elsewhere.  They come in with bottomed out breasts because the distance from the crease to the areola is left too long in their vertical lifts.  Much depends on the surgeon, their technique and on the patient's own tissue elasticity.  But it is NOT TRUE that a vertical lift is always better than a full lift.

Breast contouring, #BreastAugmentation, #Breastlift, #mastopexy

+1

Dear Inkanto

Thank you for your question.  The incision for the breast surgery is important- BUT - this will depend on the surgeon and their favored technique.  ALSO- it is VERY important that the shape around the breast - the lateral breast fullness, the medial axillary fullness, and the differences in breast shape need to be carefully assessed for best reults.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Web reference: http://tmbcosmeticsurgery.com/

Vertical technique has more lasting breast shape than anchor technique--False!

+1

No one technique is optimal for all patients, or all surgeons. There is a reason the Wise or anchor pattern is a "traditional" or "standard" technique utilized by the majority of experienced breast surgeons. Vertical or modified techniques are all efforts directed at limiting scars, improving long-term results, or . . . marketing and touting a "new" technique as better or improved. If it is, great! And in some cases, experienced breast surgeons are able to use vertical or limited-scar techniques and get good results. I have not seen any scientific studies that "prove" breast shape is maintained longer than other techniques.

Also, when "bottoming out" or poor healing at the inverted T area of the closure is claimed as a disadvantage of the Wise pattern or anchor breast lift or reduction, I have to suppress a small chuckle, because these "problems" have been solved by proper measuring, design, marking, and precision of technique. To be sure, there are always cases where things do not work out as planned (with both techniques), but IMHO I have seen many more bad vertical technique results than anchor pattern results, and the latter technique is much more common. See the link below for one such example.

Honestly, one technique is not inherently "better" than the other, so first choose a surgeon with ABPS certification and years of breast surgery experience. Then look at his/her technique and photographic results rather than choosing on the basis of technique alone.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/photogallery/breast-lift-plus-augmentation-5861/case-3-21779

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Vertical technique versus anchor technique for best breast shape

+1
For the best breast shape, there are two things to consider. 1) How the skin is reshaped and 2) how the breast tissue is reshaped. I believe that it is important to reshape the breast tissue as described with the vertical technique for the best breast shape. AFTER that is done, the excess skin can be addressed as appropriate for the individual patient. I choose either a vertical scar or an anchor depending on how much excess skin there is after the breast tissue has been reshaped.
Washington Plastic Surgeon

Vertical lollipop vs anchor technique

+1

For patients undergoing a small reduction or just a lift in most cases I will go with a veritcal limited scar incision.  Breast reductions that are quire large I will go with an anchor incision.  They can both hold up reasonably well.  There are many factors limiting long term results and it is multifactorial.

Vertical Breast Reduction/Lift For More Lasting Results

+1

The vertical technique for breast reduction and breast lift is an excellent advance in breast surgery.  Not only does it minimize the scar pattern, but it results in a more natural shape to the breasts that lasts much longer.  The problem with the traditional inverted T/anchor incision is "bottoming out" - the breast tissue tends to drop relatively soon.  This because the technique relies on tightening the breast skin (which has already been stretched out) to hold up the breasts.  The vertical technique, on the other hand, relies on the breast tissue itself to hold it up.  This makes for a long lasting result often with better appearing scars.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Breast Shape after Lift

+1

The vertical pattern breast lift was initially touted as holding the shape of the breast better than an anchor pattern lift. However, with further use, they both provide similar results. As with any surgery, the results are also operator and patient dependent. Since the original vertical breast lifts were done by very experienced surgeons on ideal candidates, the results were excellent. To determine what is right for you, you need to find an experienced plastic surgeon, get his or her opinion, and then discuss the reasoning behind this opinion and his or her results over time.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon