Is It True That the Longer You Have Post-Lasik Dry Eye, the More Likely It Will Be Permanent?

I was told that Lasik healing time is 3-6 months. It is now over a year later (13 months to be exact) and I still have post lasik dry-eye. I hear it can take years for lasik induced dry eye to heal, because it can take up to 5 years for the severed corneal nerves to heal. While I have noticed improvement over the years, I still have dry eyes. Is my condition permanent?

Post-LASIK dry eye

+1

You are correct that some patients have prolonged dry eye after LASIK. Rarely the dry eye problem is permanent. Your doctor should make an effort to identify any other conditions that may be contributing to your dry eyes. Also, there tends to be less tear production as a patient ages. Sometimes measures such as the prescription of medications or punctual occlusion can be helpful for dry eye symptoms.

Raleigh-Durham Ophthalmologist