Do You Have to Have a Specific Thickness of Wire to Get Rubber Bands?

I've had braces for about a year and I still don't have rubber bands. I was told this by my orthodontist. I'm in my last wire right now and I'm worried I still won't get them in my upcoming appointment. I was expected to just have them 18 months and my teeth are pretty much straight except for my small overbite. Is this true or is my orthodontist just being weird? Help!

Rubber Bands generally require thicker wires

+1

In general, and there are exceptions, rubber bands are started once the wires reach a certain thickness, and thus your orthodontist is correct. Not all patients require rubber bands, or they only need them for a short period of time. I would trust your orthodontist and be patient.

New York Orthodontist