Is it true that rhinoplasty should never be performed on very thick skin patients?

I have a bulbous tip and very thick skin. When I pinch the tip of my nose, I can lift the thick fibrofatty pad and hold it with my fingers. I would like a much smaller nose. I just read an article in the Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery by a surgeon who states "Very thick skin in the nasal tip means you should never perform a rhinoplasty. No matter what you do to the cartilage, the tip will be bigger after surgery, not smaller" (Taylor, 2010). Does this mean that I can't have rhinoplasty?

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed on patients with thick skin. However, it is important to keep in mind that patients with thick skin will not always achieve the level of definition they desire. Great improvements can still be made, and it is important to seek the advice of an expert when having rhinoplasty performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty and Thick Skin

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed successfully on patients with thick skin. The changes, however, are less dramatic and often take much longer to become noticeable.

Monte Harris, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thick skin presents more challenges to the rhinoplasty surgeon, but there are so many techniques available.  I find some of these rhinoplasties the most satisfying, because the patients are so happy with the improvement.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.