Is It True That Using Juvederm Stretches the Skin, Making It Look Worse off After 6 Months?

I'm considering having Juvederm injected under eyes. A friend told me that once you start you can never stop because the skin stretches with the filler and when it wears off you're left with skin more sagging than the one you started with. Is that true?

Fillers Stretching Skin?

+2

Juvederm and other fillers should not stretch the skin to any appreciable degree unless a huge volume is injected.

Filler and skin

+2

I disagree with that comment, because filler is used for deflation. So in theory the skin is loose and sagging a bit due to deflation.

Do fillers make things worse by stretching the skin?

+2

The question of whether or not filler treatments will increase the risk of worsening of the lines after the filler has worn off has come up frequently. In my experience, the opposite has been the case. Wrinkles can be made to disappear using the new hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane which give a completely natural look. These fillers can also stimulate the production of your own collagen which can give an even longer lasting result. I have never seen an instance where I felt that the treatment made things worse after it wore off. Quite to the contrary, I feel that fillers not only eliminate lines but will also prevent new ones from forming. Eventually, when all of the filler is gone, I believe you will still be much improved and will be better off than if you had no treatments at all.

The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Juvederm or Restylane stretch the skin?

+2

Patients often ask me this question.  To the best of my knowledge I have not seen a patient where an injectible filler like Juvederm stretches the skin.  I carried out several thousand injections with hyaluronic fillers and I have never seen this occur.

Injection of fillers around the eyes requires advanced knowledge and should be done by an expert injector.

John Q. Cook, MD

Juvederm

+2

Be careful with injections around the eyes.  A hyaluronic can be placed carefully and preferably with a blunt canula in order to minimize bruising and virtually eliminate the possiblity of injecting into a vessel.   Replacing dermal volume has nothing to do with the laxity of the skin over the area.  If you are injected and like the results you will have to look at touch ups down the road as fillers finally do disappear, but at a slow rate.  As they dissipate, the skin on the surface will regain its normal elasticity as well.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello

+2

I will have to agree with my colleague. Injecting juverderm does not stretch the skin out. Another thing is that in our practice we don’t recommend filler or anything injected under the eye, there is a 1% chance you can become blind. If you’re looking for longer looking results you need to get a blepharoplasty. (Eye lid lift)

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+2

I have to disagree with the idea that Juvederm stretches the skin. As we age our skin does tend to become lax and we lose volume. This combination of effects leads to the deflation of our face that characterizes aging. Juvederm and other fillers aim to replace that youthful volume or fill lines and folds in the face creating a more youthful appearance. For some reason there is an idea that patients will be worse off if they start but don't continue to use Botox or fillers. That is simply not the case. Most patients do continue to use Botox and Juvederm because they're highly satisfied with the results. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Juvederm stretch the skin?

+1

Juvederm will not stretch the skin. Once the filler wears off, the area where it was injected will appear the same as it did prior to your treatment. In general, I prefer Restylane for the tear trough. When the injections are performed properly by an experienced physician, it can yield a fantastic result. I hope this helps, and good luck! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Does Juvederm stretch your skin making it worse ?

+1

I have not seen that to be the case.  Usually the amount of product used under the eyes is very little and if not overfilled to begin with, I should not stretch the skin making it worse.

Sam Naficy, MD

Side effects fillers

+1

When performed by an experienced physician filler injections should not cause any permanent changes in your skin.  You should not be concerned about the filler stretching your skin and making it worse.  For fillers as with all procedures there is a low associated risk of complications.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon