Can a Tummy Tuck, Breast Aug, and Hyst All Be Done at Once?

I've had 11 pgs. 7 have ended in mc, still birth, and 1 neonatal loss. We've been blessed with 5 kids, my last were twins. I've had 3 classic c secs.The twin pg caused diastasis from my sternum to pubic bone about 4-5 in. Diastasis is making my back injury worse. I nursed all 5 babies, including the twins, so I'm deflated. I had uterine ablation done for heavy bleeding, didn't work next step hysto. Is it possible to get it all done at once? What would be a normal price? range? I just hate my body

How Many Surgeries Can Be Done At The Same Time?

+2

Thank you for the question. There are at least 2 issues here which need to be addressed. The first is the time under anesthesia. The goal is to keep patients under 6 hours of anesthetic time. As the time increases so do the risks to the patient, specifically the risk of what is known as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). These are blood clots that form in the deep veins of the legs. These clots can break off and travel to the lungs potentially causing a catastrophic event. Not only is time a factor here but realize that abdominal and pelvic procedures ( Hysterectomy, Abdominoplasty) will also increase your risk of a DVT. It seems that with the procedures mentioned your time under anesthesia will most likely exceed the 6 hour mark.

The second issue is the types of surgery you are wanting to combine. Hysterectomy is considered a clean contaminated case which inherently has a higher infection rate than an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) or breast augmentation, which are generally considered clean cases. So combining these 2 types of surgeries will increase your chances of a post operative infection, especially with the introduction a foreign body (breast implants).

If you were my patient I would advise against doing all the procedures at once. Rather wait till after you have had and recovered from your hysterectomy, then proceed with the abdominoplasty and breast augmentation. In either case, make sure that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I hope this helps. Best of luck

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation yes, but no to hysterectomy at the same stage

+2

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation can be performed together, as we call it "Mommy Makeover". However I would not recommend combining any tummy tuck with hysterectomy. Tummy tuck is essentially a skin surgery with tightening of muscle fascia. No intraabdominal cavity is entered. Combining it with hysterectomy will increase complication rate.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Post babies plastic surgery

+2

Thank you for your question!  You sure have been through a lot!!!  I would not recommend having all these surgeries done at once.  In my opinion you will be under general anesthesia too long and your risks of blood clots increases.  I would recommend the hysterectomy first, followed by the Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck once you are healed.  As a mother of 5 children I would play it safe.  Make sure you have a Board certified Gynecologist do the hysterectomy and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon do the Breasts and Tummy Tuck!  Good luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Combining surgeries

+2

You need to consult with your gynecologist and your board certified plastic surgeon and follow their advice. Every patient is different and the advice will vary from patient to patient. The most important thing is safety and the risk of significant complications. As a surgeon, I always ask myself whether I would perform a particular surgery on my wife or sister. In this case I personally would not. There is not enough to gain from doing all these procedures at once, and too much to lose if you have a complication.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Combined Procedures

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon will recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s), especially given the hysterectomy.     Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

They can be done, but perhaps with extra and even excessive risk.

With a background of heavy bleeding, your blood counts may be low enough that the risk of need for transfusion may be higher. 

Many try to keep surgeries to a reasonable length to minimize some time related complications such as clotting. I like to keep to 4 hours where possible, most like no longer than 6 hours. 

Discuss with your surgeons. I would favor doing the tummy tuck and breast augmentation together after you have recovered from your hysterectomy.

For price range, see the RealSelf listing for tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question and best wishes. 

Hysterectomy and additional plastic surgery procedures

+1

I recommend to stage your hysterectomy procedure first, recover from it and then have your abdominoplasty and breast augmentation performed during a second staged surgery by a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Christa Clark, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Yes it is possible to do all those procedure together if your surgeon is qualified and comfortable doing it. The prince range varies with each practice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Safety First, Doable W skilled surgeons

+1

Hi, I feel that theses 3 procedures CAN be done together, but I personally would only do this with a talented Ob/Gyn surgeon. The answer is I probably do it. Time under anesthesia and your base line health are a part of the equation. I'm in Reno, call if you have questions. 

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Can a Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation, and Hysterectomy Be Done Together?

+1

Dear twinmomplus3,

There is no black-and-white "yes/no" answer to your question, ie. the answer is "it depends."

If you are in excellent overall health, each of your procedures is expected to be relatively straightforward, and you have two skilled surgeons who feel confident they can complete the procedures quickly and efficiently, then performing a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and hysterectomy together could be considered. There are some additional risks of surgery when performed together, so absolute approval and coordination by both your gynecologist and plastic surgery are necessary beforehand.

On the flip side, safety is always a first priority with cosmetic surgery, so many surgeons might advocate staging your procedures.

Warmly,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD