How Much Trouble Would a Revision Surgery Be for Just a Tip Deprojection? (photo)

I had an open rhinoplasty to correct a deviated septum. The surgeon also shaved down a very slight bump, but he did not deproject the tip like I asked. He did put some stitches in underneath the tip, to refine it slightly. If I wanted to go back underneath, in the future, to deproject the tip very slightly, like the most minimal and subtle amount possible, nothing too drastic, would that also mean open rhinoplasty? Would it be very expensive/long recovery? Pics in profile review! Thanks guys!

Deprojecting the nasal tip

+1

The tip of the nose is made up of the domes of the lower lateral cartilages and the lower end of the septum .  To soften it slightly I have had some success with scoring the dome with a scalpel and removing a slight amount of caudal septum. This can be done closed and usually under local anesthesia.                                                                                                                    

Don't think a revision is indicated in this one – rhinoplasty.

+1

I don't see anything in the photograph for alarm. There still swelling in the nasal tip so final pronouncement cannot be made. I think things will turn out well.

Tip deprojection during rhinoplasty

+1

It's much too early to worry about a revision at this point when you still have a cast in place as you won't be able to tell what your nose really looks like until those are removed, and the swelling resolves.  

If at some point in the future you are set on having tip deprojection, there are a number of techniques available.  The degree of deprojection will determine whether an open or closed approach is more appropriate.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD