I'm Having Trouble Finding a Good Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

I live in a smaller town and found a facial plastic surgeon here who's work I love. But he doesn't have the best bed side manner so it makes it hard for me to trust him. Should I have to travel to a big city in order to find a good rhinoplasty surgeon? Or should I trust this one just based on 20 before and after photos?

Peoria, IL Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Hey kkb,

If you're referring to Christopher Putman, MD I'd say don't let his somewhat dry personality get in your way.  He's excellent and detail oriented and very experienced.  That being said, there's a number of people in Chicago but I don't feel you need to make the trip. 

You should feel comfortable.  I tell my patients all the time they need to feel at home with their surgeon because if there are even minor issues after surgery you'll second guess yourself.  You want to know you're well taken care of.  If you don't trust them then you'll wonder when they say you still have swelling, etc. "Is he/she just saying that to get me to relax or go away?"

Dr. Putman is awesome but you do need to feel good about your choice.  The opposite issue can also occur.  You meet a surgeon you love but they really dont' have that much experience.  Perhaps you may want to seek a second visit with this surgeon.

I should mention I did work with Dr. Putman for a number of years and know him professionally so there is a  little favoritism here.

Dean Touriumi in Chicago is considered the king of Rhinoplasty but he's no firecracker and not typically referred to as warm.  See more doctors before moving forward.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second Opinion for Rhinoplasty

+2

If you are having any hesitation, it never hurts to get a second opinion. Less than stellar bedside manner is not necessarily a reflection of surgical skill or the likelihood of a good outcome. But in the event of an issue or some after rhinoplasty concerns, beside manner rarely improves and that could be unsettling.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+2

Sounds like you are really seeking a second opinion from an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  Choose your surgeon based upon his/her ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetic principles for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose.  This will most likely mean travel but that cost is minor compared to the cost of a later Revision Rhinoplasty.

Trouble finding a good surgeon

+2

It's the result that counts. He doesn't have to have a great personality if he is good. There are some really nice guys who can't operate and if this surgeon is convenient that is very important in the follow up period. 

If you are still reluctant ask to speak to some of his former patients. They should be able to help you decide. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

How to find a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+2

To find a rhinoplasty surgeon starts by doing the type of homework you have been doing, reviewing the work of different surgeons either online, or getting recommendations from friends. In your search, you would like to  1. See as many before and after photos as necessary until you have a feel for their work and know whether you like their approach to rhinoplasty. 2. Narrow down your selection to those who are Board Certified by either American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Facial Plastic equivelant. 3. When it comes to rhinoplasty, not all board certified plastic surgeons, or facial plastic surgeons, are equally qualified. You would like to find a surgeon who performs rhinoplasties frequently, a minimum of 40 or so rhinoplasties per year. 4. Meet with the ones you like. This may be one or more. You may have to make a longer drive to accomplish this.  5. Make an effort to describe to your surgeon what you hope to change about your nose.

By this point, you are likely to have a sense of who you feel comfortable with and can start discussing the next step. Dr. B

Ramin Behmand, MD

Choosing a facial plastic surgeon for rhinoplasty

+2

Bigger cities generally have more doctors and more specialists, however not all of these are of equal caliber. Before and after photos or skill, experience, and training are all factors you should evaluate. "Big City" is not  necessarily a selection factor,  but you have to feel comfortable with your surgeon. Good Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feeling Comfortable with Your Surgery

+2

There are many great cosmetic/reconstructive surgeons in the Chicagoland area and each patient has unique issues and desires.  A consultation or exam should include your medical history, aesthetic requests and surgeon's planned outcome, pricing and scheduling.  However, none of this can happen without a great relationship with your surgeon.  Every relationship needs to be approached with trust and a level of comfort. I do offer free consultations and would be happy to meet with you.

Dr. G

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

I'm having trouble finding a good rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

In general, when you are looking for a rhinoplasty surgeon you should consider the following: Credentials, board certification, a good amount of before and after photos demonstrating the surgeon's work, and great patient testimonials. It is important to establish good communication with your prospective surgeon, as this will ensure that you are both on the same page prior to your procedure. You would not necessarily have to travel to a big city. Obtaining a second opinion can't hurt, as it is important that you feel comfortable prior to your surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Trust Important to Establish With Your Surgeon

+1

You don't necessarily need to travel to a large city but you should be aware that rhinoplasties are considered by most PS to be the most challenging cases we perform.  Excellent photographs, great reviews and years of experience are all impressive but a surgeon should share your vision to ensure that your goals are met.  Connecting with a surgeon is of paramount importance to ensure that you get the best results possible.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Finding a Good Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Convenience is good but find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who spends time with you and clearly explains what will be achieved. I see many patients who had good work but were not satisfied with their results because the surgeon and patient did not discuss aesthetics and reasonable goals before surgery. The surgery will change your appearance for life.