Trouble Breathing on One Side 6 Months Post Op?

I've had 2 previous surgeries to my nose, for aesthetic and functional reasons. I like the outcome of the revision (had both osteotomies and spreader grafts placed). However, lately I can't breathe out of my right nostril. It helps a lot if I pull my cheek slightly, seems to open up the airway. Might it be internal valve collapse or just scar tissue? I'm exasperated with having an obstructed nostril, but I'm just 19 and really don't want another surgery! What would be advisable?

Trouble breathing on one side 6 months post-op?

+1

It is difficult to give you advice without performing an exam. I would recommend visiting your surgeon and having him/her examine you to determine the cause of your breathing issue. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Breathing Problems 6 Months after the Second Rhinoplasty

+1

You say that lately you cannot breathe out of the right nostril.   Was the breathing ok for the first few months?  This may be of some diagnostic value when an exam is performed.  The Cottle maneuver as you described is a method for determining internal valve collapse.  However, this can be complicated by many other factors.  See a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials for your concerns.

Breathing problems after two nasal surgeries requires a careful exam.

+1

I understand your frustration in this matter, as anyone who has gone to the operating room twice does not want to come back. Because your breathing improves by pulling your cheek to the side, you likely have internal nasal valve collapse. There also may be an element of scar tissue there. My recommendation is for you to see your surgeon and have him/her address these issues. Most surgeons would wait for a full year for healing to occur before making a decision as to how to best help you. I hope this helps!

-Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD