Could Trouble Breathing Be from Deviated Septum?

My problem started 17 years ago, a kid pushed me down 2 flights of stairs. I was 11 at the time, the result was a fractured nose, however, my face was so bruised & swollen. I never fixed it, now I have trouble breathing at night, also a little hump. Could it be a deviant septum? Thank you.

Yes!

It is very likely that you could have fractured your septum during the injury, causing a deviated septum. There are several structures in the nose, including the septum, turbinates, and lining of the nose that can cause the sensation of blockages in breathing.  The "hump" on the nose can be due to the fall as well.

If you are bothered by your breathing, or the appearance of the nose, see a board certified otolaryngologist or facial plastic surgeon for a full consultation.  They can determine if a septoplasty or septorhinoplasty would be a good choice for you.  

Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty Breathing

Yes, one of the most signs of a deviated septum is difficulty breathing. Fromm the description, it sounds like you will need a consultation for rhinoplasty/septoplasty combination. You may be able to get reimbursed the septoplasty portion by medical insurance.  Most board certified plastic surgeons offer a free, private consultation so I would suggest that you visit one.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

Yes, one of the signs of a deviated septum is difficulty breathing as well as curvature of the outside of the nose. Septoplasty as well as nose reduction can help both of these problems. I am, offering a temporary cosmetic surgery price reduction as well as excellent financing. Watch my video!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breathing difficulty after trauma to nose

Absolutely! There is a high possibility your breathing problem is due to deviated septum.  I recommend seeing a board certified plastic or ENT surgeon whose interest is rhinoplasty for an evaluation.

Of note, if you smoke, you must stop smoking.  Your symptoms will not improve even with surgery, if you continue to smoke.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Septum

Hi,

Yes it sounds like you may have a deviated septum. If so this can be fixed by an experienced facial plastic surgeon.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS