How Does the Trim Method Labiaplasty Affect Level of Sensation?

Would this technique allow for greater physical arousal than other methods?

Not worse, maybe better!

+1

I agree most with the answers of Drs. Gruenwald and Pousti, as well as the rest of my colleagues that report no appreciable difference with either technique, and in fact, some improvement in sensation, particularly with clitoral hood reduction. Clitoral hood reduction is most commonly part of the linear "trim" technique, but I often combine elements of both (and other) techniques depending on the woman's specific anatomic needs and goals. All nerves cut near their terminal branches heal and regenerate, especially well if there is not too much scar tissue. And scarring is about technical finesse and patient compliance, not the direction of the cut! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

This varies.....

+1

The Trim method tends to be a little less nerve sparing than the Wedge, but the reduction in the excess tissue is probably the most important issue. Occasionally Trim patients will get a bit of numbness so I perform a Wedge most often, that is if the anatomy is right. Women vary in their privates just like in many other places. :)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Trim labiaplasty and its effect on sensation...

+1

In my active labiaplasty practice, I normally offer my patients a choice of either method of labiaplasty, trim or modified wedge. For various reasons, some choose one and some the other.

As a consequence, I see and get to compare the results from each of these two methods, and I find that both seem to maintain completely normal sensitivity (following complete healing, of course).

Many of my patients, with their improved appearance and self-esteem, claim to have enhanced sensitivity following their labiaplasty, but, unfortunately, this is a subjective impression and not something that can be easily confirmed. I'm aware of no scientific information to either substantiate or to refute this claim. In the end, if my patients happen to feel there has been improvement in labial sensitivity, I'm extremely happy for them, whatever the reason!

My advice would be to base a decision about labiaplasty method upon factors other than the expectation of enhanced or diminished sensitivity... All labiaplasty methods (if well performed) seem to be equivalent in that regard...

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Sensation Following Labiaplasty

+1

My patients have not reported any significant changes in sensation following the trim method labiaplasty procedure.  They do report less discomfort during sexual intercourse and exercise.  They also have improved self-confidence that the find very satisfying.

David Stoker, MD

Trim Labiaplasty

+1

Having performed this technique many times, I don't think that overall erotic sensation is altered one way or the other.  There is no doubt that patients may experience tenderness for 4 to 6 weeks following the procedure.  After that time period, sensation returns to normal.  Virtually no scarring is visible.

The greatest benefit of the labiaplasty procedure is the improved self confidence of the individuals who are bothered by enlargement of the labia minor.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Sensation After Labiaplasty

+1

The "Trim Method" or as many of us call it - "Sculpted Linear Excision Labiaplasty" is actually the method I prefer for multiple reasons: achieves good symmetry, removes ample amount of the darkly pigmented tissue, leaves an imperceptible scar, & preserves sensation.  Occasionally, patients may have prolonged hypersensitivity following labiaplasty beyond 4 - 6 weeks but I have not had a patient experience permanent hypersensitivity or loss of sensitivity.  In fact, a study I was involved in 2009 “A Large Multicenter Outcome Study of Female Genital Plastic Surgery” by Goodman, M.P., Stanton, R.A., et al found that "sexual performance" was enhanced in 64.7% of the patients.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia minora surgery and sensation

+1

Occasionally patients who have undergone labia minora reduction surgery report that they experience “greater physical arousal” after the procedure. I am not certain if their experience is related to the reduction of the redundant tissue or an improvement in the patient's confidence level etc.

Understanding that there have been no comparison studies that address your question, I do not believe there is a difference in the level of sensation that results from any method of surgery. Also, I would not recommend undergoing labia minora surgery for the sole purpose of achieving greater physical arousal.

It is important, when deciding whether or not to proceed with the procedure, to understand fully all the potential  complications associated with the procedure.