Between Trim and Wedge Methods, Which One Has Less Problematic Scarring?

Wedge Labiaplasty Beats Trim Every Time

+1
For years, I used the trim labiaplasty technique and was impressed with the difficulty it posed to getting truly symmetrical labia.  Also, this technique has the potential for causing some very difficult problems.  Once Gary Alter, M.D. of Beverly Hills invented the wedge technique, I embraced it and found it incredibly versatile, much less scarring, and it had the advantage of decreasing the labial introitus (vaginal opening). 
I prefer people with opinions.  Its makes it easier to agree or disagree with them.  As you can see, I have a strong opinion on this subject.  Personally, I think the trim method is archaic, and except in the hands of an incredibly talented surgeon, is fraught with complications.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Trim or wedge labiaplasty

+1

This is a common question and the answer depends on who you ask.  Some surgeons believe either technique will give good results depending on the expertise of the surgeon.  I personally use the wedge technique, but have seen excellent results with the trim technique also.  Ask to see results by your surgeon.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Labiapalsty and scarring

+1

Scarring along the labia is generally well tolerated and not typically problematic no matter the type of resection.  Surgical technique, experience and planning are most imoprtant in obtaining a good result.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty, wedge or trim

+1

We find that the wedge gives the least scar and the most natural labial edge.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

A good Wedge...

+1

It depends upon how they are done and is a matter of opinion of course. I'd say a good wedge beats a good trim all other things being equal.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scarring

+1

There are varying opinions in our circles but like the other surgeons here, i do not find problematic scarring with either technique.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Labiaplasty wedge versus trim

+1

This is a surgery that I perform quite frequently ,and I feel strongly that the wedge resection provides the best result, but I do combine it with some simple resection extensions (trim) if the excess tissue extends above the clitoral hood. I would ask your prospective surgeon what he or she prefers. The surgeon should be well versed in either technique and be able to mix and match the appropriate technique to the anatomy.  Overall this is a very well tolerated procedure and can be performed under local anethesia with mild or no oral sedation. The vast majority of my patients have been very satisfied with the results and the scars.

Regards,

Daniel A. Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed both methods many times.  I have never had a problem with the scarring.  On very rare occasions, I have had a slight separation with the wedge resection.  Most heal on their own with no problems and once healed, there is no difference in the scars between the side that healed perfectly and the side with the small separation.

Therefore, I would just go with the technique you doctor feels more comfortable performing.  also make sure your Plastic Surgeon is experienced in performing labiaplasties.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Labiaplasty options

+1

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia Minora Reduction and Scarring?

+1

One of the many reasons why labia minora reduction surgery is a very patient pleasing operation is that the resulting scars tend to be very forgiving/ soft after a period of healing.  I have used both methods and have not had patients complain of “problematic scarring”.

Probably more important than the specific technique used is surgeon attention to detail and avoidance of complications.