Triluma for Mild to Moderate Melasma Recommended? (photo)

I was prescribed triluma for my mild to moderate melasma. I have read so many negative reviews from others that it made their melasma darker. I am scared to use it. I don't think I could bare it if my melasma got darker.

Melarase AM and Melarase PM creams for melasma as an alternative to triluma cream for pigmentation

+1

I would not recommend long term use of Triluma as it contains a non-selective melanin inhibitor.  I use the Melarase AM and Melarase PM creams in my office and patients see very positive long term results. 

Mask of Pregnancy, What Cream Works?

+1
Triluma is an excellent treatment for uncomplicated hyperpigmentations, such as post-injury hyperpigmentation (i.e. brown spots on your knees after sliding down the street on your knees).  Unfortunately, melasma is a very complex problem and needs to be dealt with by something other than the basics.  Triluma, unfortunately, also targets normal pigmentations often giving one a halo effect where the area treated often becomes lighter than the areas around it.  I have found that products which contain kojic acid target specifically the hyperpigmentation of melasma (also called colasma, or the "mask of pregnancy").  Here in Hawaii, I have had this cream made up by a local compounding pharmacist.  I recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in this area, and I'm certain he or she will be able to create the same medication necessary to treat or significantly improve your pigmentary problems.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon