Will Triluma Work for Dark Spots?

I am an African American young woman. My complexion is a carmel color and I'm wondering if Triluma will help get rid of the dark spots?

Upper lip hyperpigmentation with Melarase AM and Melarase PM

+1

In my practice, I try to stay away from these combination regimens, as cortisones are non-selective inhibitors of melanocytes.  I would recommend my patients to start Melarase AM and Melarase PM for the pigmentation.

Triluma's effectiveness for dark spots depends on cause of pigmentation

+1

Tri-Luma combines Hydroquinone 4% with a mid strength corticosteroid and a Retinoid. Its effectiveness in your case would depend on the depth of the pigmentation and the cause.

If you are treating melasma, for which the drug is actually approved, then you should expect fairly substantial improvement. With melasma the pigment is just below the epidermal-dermal junction. Tri-luma is able to reach this area.

However, if you are treating post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, in which the pigment is deeper in the dermis, you will experience a much lower degree of improvement. Tri-luma, even with the boost of tretinoin, just cannot reach that depth in sufficient quantity.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Triluma for dark spots

+1

It does have the potential to lighten or at least diffuse the pigmentation if it is derived from melanocytes. IF you have concerns about the visibility, I would try a test patch for 3-4 weeks.