Normal if I Had a Breast Reduction 3 Years Ago & my Scar is Still Visible & my Nipples Are Uneven? (photo)

Three years ago, I had a breast reduction on one breast due to a tumor. I was a 32J on the side operated on, and a 32B on the side that was normal. It is now three years later, and I am concerned. My nipples are uneven (operated nipple is higher than the normal one) and my scars are still very visible. My breasts are also different shapes. If this is happening to me now, is this normal? Otherwise if not, is my surgeon obligated to fix this?

Breast reduction for a tumor

+2

Your case is a complex one due to the breast reduction being performed for a breast tumor.  Looking at your photos, I would agree that you do have some asymmetry with your nipple position, however, you have very good symmetry with size and shape.  Without seeing your preoperative photographs, I would say that your result is very reasonable.  While it would be difficult to match your nipple positions at this point, it may be possible to improve by raising the right nipple areolar complex to achieve better appearance.  At three years postoperative, your scarring has completed and will remain as such.  Each surgeon will have his/her own policy regarding revision, if this were done as an aesthetic procedure...but 3 years is a very long time to provide a revision to "fix" this.  Hope that this helps!  Thank you for the question!

Breast reduction

+2

Scars are permanent and the volume looks pretty close, this is not a usual breatst reduction because of a tumor. I can not see everything in the photos, but it is impossible to get them exaclty the same. A revision may be possible but an exam in person is essential. Do not expect your surgeon to perform a revision for free. 

Breast reduction revision

+2
I could not agree with Dr. Rand more. You did not have a typical breast reduction but had a tumor resection. That changes things tremendously and is the reason for the breasts being different shapes. From the photos, I honestly cannot tell whether there would be any real potential for improvement. Every plastic surgeon has his own policies on revision but three years is a long time to raise the issue and I think that, under your circumstances, he would not be obligated to revise it at no charge, if revision is indeed warranted.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Asymmetry after breast reduction can be corrected.

+2

Hi.

1)  In view of your history, you have quite a good result.  Your scars look normal.  They never really go away.

2) The uneven nipples can be easily corrected.

3)  Our policy is not to charge for revisions if they are done within a year of the original surgery.   Hope this is helpful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Complex breast issue

+2

Yours is a very unusual situation.  Dramatic asymmetry plus a tumor takes all bets off the table for a great result.  Your basic volume looks pretty good, the nipples are different but you can't lower the higher one, just raise the lower one. Scars are what they are at this point.  You might want to look back at your original preop photos and I suppose they might show that compared to that, your result is okay.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Normal if I Had a Breast Reduction 3 Years Ago & my Scar is Still Visible & my Nipples Are Uneven?

+1

Posting a before photo would have been great but you did not. So the result is acceptable if you had the very large asymmetric breast. revisions are an expected occurrence, but why did you wait 3 years??? No your surgeon is NOT obligated to continue the correction after this 3 year hiatus. And you need revision of the right by a lifting, plus fat grafts to gain equal sizing. Seek in person evaluations. 

Favorable Result

+1

Your result is as expected from what you describe. The changes you see on the contralateral or un operated breast are the effects of aging. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FAC

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon