How Many Treatments Will It Take to Get Rid of a New Tattoo on my Neck and It is All Black

I have got a new tattoo on my neck and I would like to know if anyone has had a new tattoo removed by laser and how many treatments might it take as read lots of different things like black is the easiest colour to remove and also as tattoo is size of a bank card would that matter and the place on my body. Does the neck respond well to treatment as well. Thank you.

Scale to estimate how many treatments are needed to remove a tattoo...

+1
The amount of time required for the removal of a tattoo and the success of the removal varies with each individual. Factors influencing this include: skin type, location, color, amount of ink, scarring or tissue change, and layering. In the past health care providers would simply guess on the number of treatments a patient needed which was rather frustrating to patients. A predictive scale, the "Kirby-Desai Scale", was developed by Dr. Will Kirby and Dr. Alpesh Desai, dermatologists with specialization in tattoo removal techniques, to assess the potential success and number of treatments necessary for laser tattoo removal, provided the medical practitioner is using modern laser technology incorporating selective photothermolysis with six weeks between treatments.
The Kirby-Desai Scale assigns numerical values to six parameters: skin type, location, color, amount of ink, scarring or tissue change, and layering. Parameter scores are then added to yield a combined score that will show the estimated number of treatments needed for successful tattoo removal. Experts recommend that the Kirby-Desai scale be used by all laser practitioners prior to starting tattoo removal treatment to help determine the number of treatments required for tattoo removal and as a predictor of the success of the laser tattoo removal treatments. Prior to 2009, clinicians had no scientific basis by which to estimate the number of treatments needed to remove a tattoo and the use of this scale is now standard practice in laser tattoo removal.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Treatment Process?

+1

Based on your description of the tattoo you probably will require 8 to 12 treatments of the black neck tattoo (depending on the depth of the tattoo ink) is.  Generally the neck does tend to respond relatively well to laser tattoo treatment.

Laser tattoo removal

+1

I tell all my patients that even the homogenous black tattoos, which is the best color to respond to laser clearing, can take more than 10 monthly treatments to fade it maximally.  Sometimes it fades almost to being imperceptible and other times tattoos don't budge much after several treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tattoo removal on neck

+1

Complete removal can never be guaranteed but black tends to be the most responsive color to laser removal so I'd be optimistic.  Professional tattoos take longer to remove than amateur tattoos.  Some people are content with significant lightening and will need less treatments than those going for maximal lightening or complete removal if possible.

If going for maximal lightening, 5-10 treatments roughly 4-6 weeks apart would be a standard range but there is variation in response that make those numbers just good estimates.  More frequent treatment might speed up resolution but would increase the overall number of treatments needed and your cost.

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Fresh professional tattoos usually require many treatments

+1

Tattoos on the neck respond well to treatment.

Black is usually a good color to treat, but it depends on which ink or mixture of inks was used [some inks respond better to laser than others], and it depends on the density of ink [if there is so much ink that you can feel the thickness of the tattoo when you run your finger over it, you will need more treatments than a thinner tattoo.]

The number of treatments you need will depend on how long you wait between treatments -- the longer you wait, the fewer treatments you will need. This is because the Q-switched laser beam shatters the ink granules into smaller particles, making it easier for the body to dispose of them. The more time your body has to work on the tattoo after it is lasered, the more ink your body will get rid of for you.

But, if you are in a hurry to get rid of the tattoo it could be lasered every two weeks. This way it will be gone much sooner, but the larger number of treatments will cost more money.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Number of Laser Tattoo Removal Treatments Needed

+1

The number of laser tattoo removal treatments depends on several parameters. One of these includes Fitzpatrick skin type.

Some people think of this categorization system as labeling how dark someone's skin is. But it also describes how easily a person's skin tans. This depends on the level of melanin. The darker your skin tone is, the longer it will take to remove your tattoo.

The reason for this is for safety. The risk of a laser burn in the darker skinned patient is increased and for that reason less energy is used in treatment. This often translates to a higher number of treatment sessions.

Aside from this, simple black designs without a lot of ink should be fairly easy to remove. Also the neck area is quite optimal for tattoo removal. There are a lot of blood and lymphatic vessels in this region which play a big role in removing the broken ink particles from the procedure.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon