Treatments for Mild Retraction?

I had u/l eyelid surgery last year that resulted in a mild retraction of lower lid. One doctor I consulted suggested "fillers" to improve the appearance of the retraction---and laser to improve the resulting scarring that I also have. Are lasers effective? and do fillers help the situation, or just a waste of time. The doctor does not want to do any further surgery, because he believes that any more removal of skin will make matters worse. thank you

Eyelid retraction

+1

If you have eyelid retraction after a blepharoplasty, then commonly you do not want to remove more skin. More history is critical to evaluate your condition and certainly an exam is critical. As for what can be done, that depends upon the cause and your specific situation. In general, filler can be used, sometimes grafting, and sometimes suspension helps.

Eyelid retraction

+1

Fillers can definitely help raise the lower eyelids. See my manuscript on the link provided below.  Removal of skin will likely make the retraction worse.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com/eyelid-retraction

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Without exam or a picture it’s very hard to give adequate advice. If you’re not satisfied with what your surgeon had to say you should get a second opinion. There are different things that can be done to help improve your situation. Filler would not be a recommendation for under the eyes.

Lower lid retraction.

+1

Fillers will help with depressions but if the lid is scarred down it will not release the scar. Laser is for fine wrinkles. 

Lid retraction

+1

Using fillers may be good temporary fix depending on how far along you are from the surgery. With time, scarring will improve and patients that initially have retraction will have resolution.

Certainly removing additional skin is an absolute NO-NO. Laser resurfacing can improve a raised scar, but I would not recommend any additional surgery/laser until you are at least 1 year out from surgery.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Lid retraction after Bleph

+1

First let me say that I don't have all the information.

After that disclaimer, let me recommend a second opinion, perhaps from an oculoplastic surgeon.  Note that I am a plastic surgeon.

My concern is that laser will put more tension on the lower lid skin and may tend to put more pull on the lid as the skin will shrink.  There are several reasons that the lid may be retracted, and by this time, it is likely you won't see any more improvement.  Fillers may work to conceal, but likely won't address the actual problem.  I would want to get the problem fixed rather than cover it up with fillers.

sek

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.