Treatments Before and After MACS Face Lift and Blepharoplasty

A beautician is recommending I undertake a series of cosmetic non-surgical treatments (laser and chemical peels) in the weeks leading up to my MACS face lift and upper & lower eyelid surgery. She advises that this will ensure my skin is in the best possible condition before the surgery. Is this correct? Should I commence these treatments or any other treatments? Will it make a difference to the results? Also, how long after the surgery could I have any laser treatment and/or chemical peels?

No prep necessary for Facelift...Peels etc. But dont leave the old house unpainted.

+3

You need no prep of peels etc foir a facelift.  This will make no difference in your results.  Ask your surgeon.  On the other hand the facelift only changes the sturecture, not the surface.  If you remodel an old house and then dont paint it you still have an old house.  You cosmetician may have good advice but there is no benefit in doing it prior to surgery.  On the other hand it doesnt hurt.  Ask your surgeon.  If you skin is old and blotchy and wrinkeled then think of the house.   Tuning up you skin is like painting the house.  Good luck.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Non surgical facial treatments will be most effective after not before MACS Facelift and Blepharoplasty

+2

Non surgical facial treatments improve the skin by causing irritation and inflammation which causes exfoliation and new collagen production.

Your Facelift also causes inflammation and I would recommend not adding inflammation to the facial skin before  a Facelift.

Once you heal from your Facelift-6wks to 3 months is an ideal time to start non surgical facial treatments to improve the look and tone of your skin after the Facelift

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Skin treatments prior to facelift surgery

+2

Hi AussieChick2011-

I believe you would be better served by getting the recommended treatments would after your surgery. I don't think they are necessarily helpful prior to the surgery, but will be icing on the cake after the surgery. Please check with your surgeon for his/her opinion.

Sincerely

Tom Kaniff 

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive Skin Care Before Facelift

+2

Of course, gentle treatments including superficial peels, microdermabrasion, skin care etc. will give your skin an improved tone and glow. I do not think though, that it will benefit the overall facelift outcome. This is really up to your facelift surgeon! I would not expect the result to improve because of your skin treatments nor do I think it will hurt it.

But if this would mark the beginning of taking good care of your skin, I am all for it! Just like brushing and flossing, skin care is not an event but a lifestyle.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pretreatment of the skin prior to facelift

+2

Treating the skin is an important part of the facial rejuvenation concept.  It can be done before the facelift, during or after. My recommendation is to pre-treat the skin before the facelift, using a lite resurfacing approach, then to do a more definitive method at the time of the procedure or 2-3 months later. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser, peels, and creams: buffing the skin before a facelift

+2
Aging affects all the layers of the face: the epidermis and dermis (top layers of the skin) thin and lose elasticity, while the fat and muscle layers shrink and descend. Facelift surgery does exactly that- it only lifts falling tissues but does not stimulate collagen, the precious protein that gives the skin that baby smooth, wrinkle-free plumpness we used to have. So, if you have healthy skin then perhaps all you need is a lift. But, for a lasting natural result that rolls back the hands of time, I recommend seeing a board certified aesthetic dermatologist who can start a balanced regimen of cleanser, exfoliant, moisturizer, retinoids, and peptide creams (certainly I can recommend some for you). Peels and laser are excellent adjuncts to kick-start your collagen building. Improving your skin's texture and evening out skin tone can only help your facelift result and minimize the chances of having a tight, "wind-swept" look which we don't want. I think your beautician is on to something!

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

Pretreatment

+2

Dear AussieChick,

Though pretreatments may improve the skin tone, and the look of the skin, it is not going to effect the final result of your surgery. Successful facial rejuvenation surgery repositions the deeper tissues and eliminates some skin laxity. Its success is not dependent on pretreatment regimes.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Treatment before MACS face lift

+1
It will be more cost effective to do MACS lift and eyelid surgery first. The nonsurgical solutions then can be used only where it is necessary. Such as peels to improve texture of skin in some areas that are not improved with the lift.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Skin treatments before surgery

+1

Skin treatments before surgery are really not necessary.  You can discuss with your surgeon if any special pre-op protocol is needed

Sam Naficy, MD

Refinements come after surgery

+1

I recommend the finer things be done after surgery to get the best results. Surgery will soften the biggest wrinkles and after you have healed, other things have more effect. Good luck, Nasim Huq

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon