What Treatments Are Available to Permanently Whiten/lighten Skin?

I have been trying unsuccessfully to lighten my natural skin tone. I am interested in laser treatments that will permanently lighten/whiten my skin. What options are available? Thank you!

Permanent whitening of skin

+2

The only true skin lightening agent is hydroquinone, a skin bleaching agent, which is prescribed by a physician and compounded by a special pharmacy. Small areas can be treated individually, but you cannot apply it to the full body all at once. Additionally some areas will lighten more or less than other areas, but different strengths can be used. The real thing that needs to be discussed here is why you want to do this......

Treatments for Skin Lightening

+1

Thank you for your question. There are other options to lighten skin tone including lasers, bleaching creams, and chemical peels. You should have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist to discuss which option is best for you. You have to consider though that no matter which treatment you decide to do that it will not produce a permanent result and that sun avoidance as well as the use of sunscreen (SPF 30 with zinc oxide) is required.  I hope this helps

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist