Which Treatments Should I Have After Aqualipo/smartlipo to Improve the Outcome?

I had a lipo 3 years ago, around my thighs it left a lot of lumps and bumbs, it looks like my thighs are one big cellulite, while I never had cellulite before, If i remember well I had a normal traditional liposuction, I am sure I did not have any post operative treatments or massage, I had my "suit" on for 6 weeks. In 2 weeks I will have another liposuction, is there any threatment I can do post operation to make the result as "smooth" as possible?

Improving Liposuction Result

+2

Thank you for your question about improving your liposuction result .

• Laser liposuction often causes the cellulite you now see,
  • Why? It lasers the skin evenly.
  • To get a better result, have traditional or microaire liposuction,
  • Wear the garment faithfully for 4-6 weeks, longer if you are still sore
  • Light massage starting at 2 weeks helps.
  • Radiofrequency Exilis treatment may smoothe uneven liposuction results.  Best wishes. Hope this helps! 

Treatments after Liposuction to Improve Results

+2

Some plastic surgeons recommend ultrasound, endermologie, massage, etc., but other plastic surgeons think that none of these modalities do anything.  I think that most plastic surgeons believe that compression helps prevent fluid collections, which can sabotage even the best liposuction efforts.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Endermologie treatment post lipo

+2

I recommend endermologie post liposuction to help with results. It is done twice a week and you can start week post lipo. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Post Liposuction - What Smooths Things Out?

+2

In my practice, after liposuction, I have my patients use DMSO.  This is a liquid which is a great anti-inflammatory and will decrease the swelling quickly.  It also helps take away bruising which can lead to scarring if not removed early after liposuction.  Because it decreases inflammation, it also decreases pain from swelling.  The bruising is removed because DMSO opens up choke vessels.  Choke vessels are a redundant blood supply found everywhere in the body.  This increases the removal of bruising and speeds healing.

A second modality which I use twice per week, or at most three times per week, is ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles).  This converts sound energy into heat which brings blood supply to the area and helps heal the injured tissue.  It has a second, and possibly more important, side effect.  The sound waves seem to smooth out free fat cells which are clumped after liposuction, giving a more even appearance to the post liposuction skin.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Results after Lipo - Treatment Considerations

+1

How to Have Smooth Results After Liposuction? - Most important go to the best Plastic Surgeon with the most experience. It is unclear for example if your lumps and bumps are uneven fat removal vs Cellulite. If uneven fat distribution it might be improved with further lipo but this would be difficult.

Cellulite may be worsened by liposuction and may be best addressed by other surgeries such as a leg or body lift (e.g. tummy tuck) to improve your appearance if appropriate (loose skin). 

For treatments that help to treat your cellulite, there is a laser treatment called Cellulaze that was recently approved by the FDA last year. This procedure is proven to show better results after only the first session. The outcome lasts one year or longer, but you may need followup sessions depending on the results.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS