What Treatment is Best?

Hi, I am 5ft 7 and 126 lbs. I've lost a lot of weight over a long period time and now really like my body...except! I love my arms,bust,bum and legs it's just I still have a tummy.Quite a big tummy. My hips are about a size 8 and my tummy is certainly not!I need to get the weight of my back,waist,tummy and sides so I'm in proportion. I'm not sure how many areas this is?Cost and best treatment.What should I do? Thanks Sophiexx

Reshaping the abdomen with lipo: are you and apple or a pear?

+3

As you are aware liposuction and all forms of body contouring surgery such as abdominoplasty are for reshaping not weight loss. From your description, it sounds like you have the classic "apple" body which is a genetically determined pattern of fat distribution that favors retaining the extra around the middle while the legs and other areas are ok (the pear is big outer thighs and skinny waist.) . This body shape is very resistant to change with exercise and diet so body contouring is in order if that is the case. If skin tone is good then lipo alone is the way to go, if there is skin laxity then a tummy tuck or body lift might be more appropriate. One thing to keep in mind is that the apple body type typically affects the upper inner thighs as well so don't overlook that or it could be an even bigger problem afterward.

BMI less than 20?- Ideal Waist Hip Ratio is about 0.7

+2

If your height and weight are accurate, then your BMI is less than 20.  In my experience, that usually means that your body fat is probably on the low side.  You should be examined by a boarded surgeon who can decide with you what the best course of action is for you.  Some people do have diet and exercise resistant areas of fat on their bodies, and this is usually hereditary (someone else in your family have the same problem?)  If you were pregnant, you may also have some muscle laxity issues in the tummy area that can be fixed.  In slim people, it can make a huge difference in the waist hip ratio (you want your waist to be smaller than your hips- the ideal is about 0.7 - go ahead and take a tape measure and practice some math...if your hips are around 36", then the ideal waist is under about 25", i.e. 0.7 times 36").  

An exam will also help to rule out other, rare,  issues.  I once had a patient with a huge uterine fibroid that made her look pregnant.  Her gynecologist got rid of that problem...then I fixed the scar.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS 

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Circufrerential torso fullness after significant weight loss

+1

In all likelihood, the fullness is redundant and loose skin and the best option would be a circumferential body lift or demolipectomy procedure.

Weight loss and liposuction

+1

you may not have excess fat based on your height and weight, but you should be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologic surgeon and an examination can determine if you need skin tightening, fat removal or a tummy tuck.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Options for body Contouring Procedures

+1

It is impossible to formulate a game plan for treatment options without photos and  history and physical examination.  Tummy tucks and other body lift procedures are most effective for skin and muscle laxity while liposuction may be more appropriate for  residual fat deposits despite adequate diet and exercise. Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in these procedures may be your best bet.

Stephen Delia, MD

Tummy options

+1

Without an exam and a bit more history, it is difficult to say what would benefit you. You may require a tummy tuck, or just liposuction

5 foot 7 inches and 126 pounds-thin!

+1

Sophie

Weight of 126 pounds and height of 5'7'" suggests a body mass index of 19.5.  This is at the lower end of normal.  If you lost significant weight to reach this weight, it is possible that you now have excess skin contributing to your contour issues.  A body lift by a board certified general plastic surgeon may be a consideration.  However, recognize that there are some signifiant downsides.  The most important of which is the visible scars.   There is no free lunch and you might decide that this is a reasonable trade off to rid yourself of excess skin.  However, you did not indicate that hanging skin was your primary issue.  Another possibility is that in your effort to rid yourself of unwanted body weight, you have lost perspective on what is a reasonable body contour and shape.  An ethical plastic surgeon will be honest about these issues and decline to offer you surgery if they feel you do not need or would not benefit from surgery.  Bringing a family member or a good friend to be an independent set of ears to your consultation can be very helpful.

Best treatment option impossible to tell with out picture

+1

By your description you could be a candidate for liposuction or a body lift procedure.  If you have loose skin around the abdomen, hips and waist you will need a lift procedure.  If you only have fat accumulations you can get by with liposcution.  Your situation will probably require a consultation to come up with a plan that fits your goals at this time.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon