Is IPL Treatment Working?

I had ipl for sunspots on face hands and arms 11 days age. Test patches caused coffee grinds but treatment has just caused mild darkening of patches. Facial patches feel very dry. Is treatment working

Healing after IPL

+2

This sounds like an appropriate healing response to an IPL. Darker brown spots will often produce the coffee ground appearance, but lighter and medium brown spots often don't and will just show gradually lightening over the next month. While you are healing it may be tempting to want to exfoliate or pick at the coffee grounds, but do not manipulate your healing skin. The best skin care regimen while healing from an IPL is to use a gentle cleanser and bland moisturizer. The coffee grounds will resolve on their own. For the best results from an IPL, usually 3-4 treatments will be needed at monthly intervals.

Houston Dermatologist

IPL Healing...

+1

Yes, this sounds like you are on the right path of healing with a good IPL treatment.  Do not exfoliate the "coffee grinds".  Make sure you keep your skin nice and moist with good moisturizers and where your sunscreen daily.  I always recommend more than one treatment for optimal results.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

IPL for Age Spots

+1

It sounds like you are doing fine.  I tell my patients that it may take several treatments to get the best result.  Typically, you may see speckling (coffee grounds) or darkening of the spot which is usually an indication that the lesion has picked up the light energy and should lighten.  This may take several weeks.  I usually repeat the treatment after three weeks allowing to see the final result from the previous treatment.

Scott Greenberg, MD

IPL Treatment - Los Angeles

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

If you are experiencing darkening of the pigment you can expect at least modest improvement in the dark spots. You may require several treatments before you see a marked improvement.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

IPL initially causes darkening of pigmented areas

+1

You may or may not get coffee grounds.  It's great if you do, but not necessary for improvement of the pigmentation.  The fact that the spots got darker means the IPL hit the required target and that should result in some improvement.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon