Treatment for Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

I had a tummy tuck scar revision on April 15, 2011. The surgeon placed the scar too high on my stomach and did a revision. Can the scar be brought down lower? Also, what can I do to make the scar lighter? I am hispanic and am prone to hypertrophic scarring and keloids

Tummy tuck scar keloid

+2

You should talk to your board certified plastic surgeon about what treatments including lasers, creams, injections and sheeting might be appropriate for the care of your wound.

See my many other posts on how the location of the tummy tuck scar is determined.  It is not something that you can just put at a low level without several other considerations.

Don't think your scar is too high

+1

The placement of a tummy tuck scar varies from patient to patient.  Some scars are placed where yours is and sometimes we are able to place them lower.  Your scar may be higher than you expected but in my opinion it is not out of the norm.  A lower scar would have cut across your tattoo.  Your surgeon may have taken this into account at the time of the markings.  Was this brought up at all prior to your surgery?

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty scar - too high and how to have it heal in the best possible way

+1

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to lower a "too high" tummy tuck scar. After a year or more and with some relaxation of the skin, there may be a greater probability for this to be performed but again it would be quite low and the amount that it could be lowered would generally not be a whole lot.

With regard to ancillary ways to help obtain the best possible scar, consider one of a variety of scar creams or lotions, silicone gel sheeting and a skin bleaching agent such as a hydroquinone that will help reduce the risk/extent of hyperpigmentation which you will be at an increased risk for.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Scar Improvement After Surgery.

+1

Scars look good for two weeks, then they begin to get red raised and ugly. It takes two months, to get to the firmest healing, about  six months to get to the reddest, and six months to two years to improve.

I would start using silicone cream two weeks after surgery, two times per day. You need to do this for this for ten to twelve weeks.

There is no laser that removes scars, if the scar is red or dark , you can use a laser to help improve the color. Bleaching creams are also sometimes helpful in darker skin types.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scars

+1

Dear Mon Mon,

Scars usually fade over time, so patience is important. I would speak with your plastic surgeon about ways to reduce the chance of hypertrophic or keloid scarring. There are many options to prevent and/or treat hypertrophic and keloid scars including adhesive tapes, silicone sheets, medicines, lasers, and various creams and ointments.

As far as the location of the scar is concerned, unfortunately, it is very difficult to lower the scar unless the skin significantly stretches or relaxes after surgery.

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Revising tummy tuck scars

+1

You should use silicone gels/sheets right now since your scar is so new.  It is very difficult to "lower" a scar of that length.  I recommend waiting at least nine months to one year to allow the scar to mature and soften before doing any type of revision. The scar will lighten over time, you just have to be patient for now.

Consult with your plastic surgeon if you have any further concerns.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck scar position

+1

You are not correct in saying that your plastic surgeon made a mistake in your scar position.  Just because you wanted it lower doesn't mean that he/she could make it lower.  If you read the numerous posts on RS you will learn that the height of the scar all depends on how much extra skin you have and you clearly didn't have a lot.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS